Panthers capture fifth straight win, tied for first place in Little East
MANSFIELD, Conn. – Plymouth State University overcame a 4-0 deficit after one quarter and came back to defeated Eastern Connecticut State University, 16-10, in a key Little East Conference men's lacrosse game at the Mansfield Complex.
Seniors Nicco Sorrentino (Chelmsford, Mass.) and Mac Tetreault (New Durham, N.H.) combined for seven goals and two assists to lead the Panther offense, Sorrentino with a game-high four goals and Tetreault with three markers. Senior goalie Jayson LaRiviere (Chelmsford, Mass.) made 11 saves to pace the Panther defense.
PSU won its fifth game in a row to improve to 7-4 overall (3-0 LEC), while Eastern drops to 5-7 overall (2-1 LEC). Plymouth State is tied with Keene State at the top of the Little East standings.
NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse – Little East Conference
at Mansfield Complex, Mansfield, Conn. – Saturday, April 15, 2017
Plymouth State 16, Eastern Connecticut 10
Records: PSU 7-4, 3-0 LEC; ECSU 5-7, 2-1 LEC
* PSU, which lost 10 in a row to Eastern Conn. from 2008-2015, has now defeated the Warriors in the regular season two years in a row. The Panthers won in the regular season last year in overtime, 9-8, but Eastern took the rematch in an LEC tournament semifinal, 15-14.
* Matthew Rougeot led the home team with three goals, while Shawn Tierney had a team-high four points on two goals and two assists. Samuel Watson contributed two goals and Nick Biasetti added a goal and two assists.
* Jesse Schulze was dominant at the face-off 'X' for Eastern, winning 19-of-27 attempts. Goalie Chris Gorman finished with 15 saves.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Down 4-0 after one quarter, PSU outscored the Warriors 5-3 in the second to get back into the game, with five different goal scorers. Antolino put the Panthers on the board first, with Allen, Tetreault, Cormier and senior Drew Lederer (Jefferson, Mass.) also scoring goals in the quarter.
* PSU dominated the third quarter, out-shooting the Warriors 19-3 and scoring five unanswered goals to open up a 10-7 lead. Tetreault and Sorrentino found the net in the first five minutes; Cormier scored a man-up goal midway through the quarter, and Sorrentino and Antolino rounded out the scoring in the quarter.
* The Panthers scored the first two goals of the fourth quarter, by Allen and Sorrentino, to make it 12-7. Eastern tallied three more goals the rest of the way, but couldn't get a rally going and PSU held on for the win.
The Panthers have a pivotal contest coming up on Wednesday as the face LEC co-leader Keene State College at 4 p.m. in Keene. Eastern Conn. also faces its rival on Wednesday, hosting Western Connecticut in an LEC meeting at 4 p.m.
-- 30 --