Stockman, Haversat, Sorrentino bolster Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – The Plymouth State University men's lacrosse team turned in a dominating first half Wednesday afternoon and went on to defeat the University of Southern Maine, 13-7, in a key Little East Conference game at Currier Field.
PSU outscored the visitors 9-0 in the first 30 minutes and took more shots by a 27-10 count. Senior Nicco Sorrentino (Chelmsford, Mass.) tallied four of his team-high five points with two goals and two assists in the first half. Southern Maine got a career-high five goals in the game from sophomore Paul Leonardo (Groton, Mass.).
Plymouth State improves to 8-6 overall and 4-2 in the Little East, while USM drops to 6-8 overall and 3-3 in the LEC. The Panthers are in a three-way tie for second place in the LEC with one game remaining, while the Huskies dropped into fifth place.
NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse – Little East Conference
at Currier Field, Plymouth, N.H. – Wednesday, April 26, 2017
Plymouth State 13, Southern Maine 7
Records: PSU 8-6 (4-2 LEC); USM 6-8 (3-3 LEC)
IN THE NUMBERS
* The Panthers were \ bolstered by the midfield play of junior Kyle Stockman (Ballston Lake, N.Y.) and senior Adam Haversat (Cape Elizabeth, Maine). Stockman won 21 of 24 face-offs and picked up a game-high 13 ground balls while Haversat added 10 ground balls.
* Sorrentino finished with three goals and two assists; senior Mac Tetreault (New Durham, N.H.) and sophomore Casey Elkin (Stow, Mass.) chipped in with two goals each and senior Pete Allen (Newbury, N.H.) and sophomore Chris Waterbury (Clinton, Conn.) added a goal and an assist apiece.
* Leonardo got four of his five goals on assists from senior Keegan Smith (West Gardine, Maine), and junior Nate DelGiudice (Oakland, Maine) contributed a goal and two assists.
* PSU senior goalie Jayson LaRiviere (Chelmsford, Mass.) and USM junior Zach Bessette (Readfield, Maine) each made 14 saves in the game.
* PSU won the battle of face-offs, 21-3, ground balls, 39-29, and shots (49-29).
HOW IT HAPPENED
* Pete Allen put PSU on the board just a little over a minute into the game, and Elkins added back to back goals to make it a 3-0 game midway through the frame. Sorrentino and Waterbury put the ball into the net before the end of the quarter for a 5-0 lead.
* The Panthers outscored USM 4-0 in the second quarter on goals by Sorrentino, senior Alex Croatti (Brunswick, Maine), Tetreault and junior Cam Cormier (Auburn, Maine). LaRiviere made five saves in the first half to keep the Huskies scoreless.
* Tetreault pushed PSU's lead to double digits to start the second half before Leonardo put the Huskies on the board on a feed from Delguidice. Freshman Trevor Gagnon (Pelham, N.H.) put one in for PSU and Leonardo added one more goal in the third quarter but the home team held a 11-2 advantage after three. Leonardo tacked on three goals in the fourth quarter as USM outscored the home team 5-2 in the final frame.
* Both teams will wrap up the regular season with conference games on Friday as PSU visits Western Connecticut State University for a 4 p,m, start and USM travels to the University of Massachusetts Boston for a 7 p.m. contest.
-- 30 --