Tetreault, Waterbury score three goals each for Panthers
DANBURY, Conn. – Freshman Ryan Reuling (Groton, Conn.) scored four goals and sophomore Robby Swensen (Danbury, Conn.) added three goals and two assists Friday afternoon as Western Connecticut State University defeated Plymouth State University, 16-11, in the Little East Conference men's lacrosse regular season finale at the WAC.
The game was tied 7-7 at halftime, but the home team outscored the visitors 5-2 in the third quarter and 4-2 in the fourth to secure the victory. Western completes the regular season at 7-8 overall and 3-4 in the LEC, while PSU winds up 8-7 overall and 4-3 in the LEC.
The LEC Men's Lacrosse Tournament begins with quarterfinal action on Tuesday. Final standings and first-round pairings will be announced at the conclusion of three LEC games Friday night.
NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse – Little East Conference
at The WAC, Danbury, Conn. – Friday, April 28, 2017
Western Connecticut 116, Plymouth State 11
Records: Plymouth State 8-7, 4-3 LEC; Western Connecticut 7-8, 3-4 LEC
* The Panthers fell behind 3-1 in the early going, but rallied with five consecutive goals by five different players in the final seven minutes of the first quarter to take a 6-3 lead. Junior Galen Antolino (Exeter, N.H.), Tetreault, sophomore Sam McCoy (Marriottsville, Md.), senior Pete Allen (Newbury, N.H.) and freshman Trevor Gagnon (Pelham, N.H.) all found the net to put the Panthers in front.
* Western bounced back in the second quarter to outscore the Panthers 4-1, with Tetreault scoring the only Panther goal with an assist from senior Nicco Sorrentino (Chelmsford, Mass.). That turned out to be the only point for Sorrentino, PSU's leading scorer on the season.
* Tetreault scored the first goal of the third quarter to give PSU the lead back, but Western tallied the next five goals, including two by freshman Christian Sparacino (Manorville, N.Y.). Sophomore Casey Elkins (Stow, Mass.) got one for PSU before the period ended, but the Panthers trailed 12-9 heading into the fourth quarter.
* Western put the game away with the first four goals of the fourth quarter. Waterbury and Tetreault scored goals in the final minute for the 16-11 final.
* Junior Kyle Stockman (Ballston Lake, N.Y.) finished 15-for-30 on face-offs for PSU and posted a team-high six ground balls. Senior Adam Haversat (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) collected three ground balls and six caused turnovers.
* PSU goalie Jayson LaRiviere (Chelmsford, Mass.) made 11 saves in the Panther goal, while senior Patrick Tynan (Somers, Conn.) made 13 saves on 22 shots for the winners.
* The Panthers will begin Little East Conference Tournament play this Tuesday, May 2, in a quarterfinal game against a team to be determined (time and location also TBD). The LEC semifinals are Thursday, May 4, and the LEC Championship game in Saturday, May 6.
-- 30 --