Waterbury, Sorrentino and defense leads Panthers to semifinal on Thursday
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Chris Waterbury (Clinton, Conn.) scored a career-high four goals and senior Nicco Sorrentino (Chelmsford, Mass.) added three goals and two assists Tuesday afternoon as third-seeded Plymouth State University defeated sixth-seeded Western Connecticut State University, 14-11, in a Little East Conference Men's Lacrosse Tournament quarterfinal at PSU's Currier Field.
The PSU defense played a huge part in the victory, holding the visitors scoreless for nearly 25 minutes on the game clock. Western pulled ahead 8-7 with three minutes remaining in the second quarter, but didn't score again until the midway point of the fourth quarter, by which time PSU had taken a 13-8 lead.
Plymouth State, 9-7 overall, advances to a semifinal game Thursday at second-seeded University of Massachusetts Boston (8:00 p.m.), while Western Connecticut completes its season with a 7-9 record. PSU avenged a 16-11 setback to Western last Friday in the regular season finale in Danbury, Conn.
NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse – Little East Conference Tournament
at Currier Field, Plymouth, N.H. – Tuesday, May 2, 2017
#3 Plymouth State 14, #6 Western Connecticut 11
Records: PSU 9-7; WCSU 7-9
IN THE NUMBERS
* Senior Mac Tetreault (New Durham, N.H.) contributed to the PSU offense with two goals and two assists, while seniors Pete Allen (Newbury, N.H.) and Alex Croatti (Brunswick, Maine) and junior Galen Antolino (Exeter, N.H.) added a goal and an assist each.
* Sorrentino's five points pushed him over the 100-career point plateau as he now has 60 goals and 41 assists. He is the 28th player in program history to reach the milestone
* Senior Adam Haversat (Cape Elizabeth, Maine) and junior Kyle Stockman (Ballston Lake, N.Y.) picked up a game-high eight ground ball apiece. Haversat caused four turnovers and Stockman won 15 of 29 face-offs.
* Western freshman Eric Caldwell (East Moriches, N.Y.) was the game high-scorer with six points on four goals and two assists. Senior Cullen Roberts (Somers, Conn.) added two goals and an assist, and senior John Foristall (Danbury, Conn.) scored twice for the Colonials.
* Roberts caused three turnovers and he and sophomore Ryan Yursha (Middletown, Del.) shared team-high honors with six ground balls.
* PSU had a 52-29 advantage in shots. Western goalie Sean Tynan (Somers, Conn.) had a busy day, making 17 saves, while PSU goalie Jayson LaRiviere (Chelmsford, Mass.) made 11 stops.
HOW IT HAPPENED
* A 10-goal first period included two lead changes but ended up with the score tied 5-5 after 15 minutes of play. Caldwell had three goals for Western and Waterbury scored twice for PSU.
* Sorrentino and Croatti scored for PSU to open the second quarter scoring to give PSU a two-goal lead, but Western answered with three in a row, including two by Foristall, to take an 8-7 lead into the intermission.
* PSU stifled the Colonials in the third quarter, out-shooting the visitors 15-8 and limiting them to just one successful clear attempt. Meanwhile Waterbury scored twice and junior Cam Cormier (Auburn, Maine) and Tetreault scored goals and Sorrentino collected two assists to put PSU ahead 11-8 after three.
* Allen recorded an assist and a goal to start the fourth quarter to give PSU its biggest lead, 13-8. Caldwell broke Western's dry spell with 7:46 to play, but the Colonials couldn't overcome the five-goal deficit, despite two goals in the final two minutes.
-- 30 --