Panthers eliminated in semifinals for sixth straight year
BOSTON – Second-seeded University of Massachusetts Boston used a nine-goal second half Thursday evening and defeated third-seeded Plymouth State University, 14-6, in a Little East Conference men's lacrosse semifinal game at James Cotter Field.
UMB posted its biggest win in program history as the Beacons earned their first trip to the Little East championship game. Just as it did two weeks ago in the regular season encounter, Plymouth State led at halftime but couldn't withstand a second-half surge by the Beacons.
UMass Boston will meet top-seeded and three-time defending champion Keene State College Saturday in Keene, N.H. Plymouth State, which was eliminated in the semifinals for the sixth straight year, completes its season at 9-8 overall.
NCAA Division III Men's Lacrosse – Little East Conference Semifinal
at James Cotter Field, Boston, Mass. – Thursday, May 4, 2017
UMass Boston 14, Plymouth State 6
Records: Plymouth State 9-8; UMass Boston 9-7
* The Beacons were led by Josh Holmes and Conor Smith, who combined for nine goals and one assist in the win. Six of their nine goals came in second half rush, with Jack Dillon (Barrington, R.I.) and Clay Arnold (Syracuse, N.Y.) also getting in on the action.
* Dillon once again proved to be the Beacons go-to two-way player as he finished the victory with three goals, to go along with 10 ground balls and six caused turnovers. Alex Surette (Melrose, Mass.) was once again solid in his first tournament win as a Beacon, as he made nine saves in the victory.
* Senior Nicco Sorrentino (Chelmsford, Mass.) led the Plymouth State attack with three goals, while junior Galen Antolino (Exeter, N.H.) and senior Mac Tetreault (New Durham, N.H.) each finished with two assists. Junior Kyle Stockman (Ballston Lake, N.Y.) won 12-of-23 face-offs and picked up a team-high nine ground balls.
* PSU senior goalie Jayson LaRiviere (Chelmsford, Mass.) made 12 saves, as he closed out the campaign with an 8-6 record overall.
* UMB started off Thursday's semi-final game on a great note as they rattled-off a pair of goals through the first seven plus minutes. However, a quick response by the Panthers, with goals by Sorrentino and senior Alex Croatti (Brunswick, Maine) found the teams tied at 2-2 heading into the first intermission.
* In the second, the two teams alternated goals, with Plymouth State's Chris Waterbury (Clinton, Conn.) scoring the final marker before the halftime break to take slim 6-5 lead.
* The Beacons returned the field in the third with a new fire. Smith evened the score at 6-6 at the 12:13 mark. Nine seconds later Dillon would put UMB in the lead for the final time as he netted an unassisted goal. From there Surette and his defense completely neutralized the Panthers attack.
(Contributions from UMass Boston Sports Information)
-- 30 --