Elkins pours in career-high five goals in setback
NORTON, Mass. – Senior Casey Elkins (Stow, Mass.) poured in a career-high five goals but Wheaton College used a 3-0 run in the fourth quarter to nip Plymouth State University, 14-11, in a non-conference men's lacrosse game at Diane C. Nordin Field on Wednesday.
In a back-and-forth game Wheaton held leads of 2-0, 3-2 and 5-3 in the first half, but each time the Panthers came back to even the score. The Panthers took their only lead of the game on Elkins' second score of the day early in the third quarter, but the hosts came back with six of the next seven tallies to go ahead 11-7. PSU cut the deficit to 11-10 on Elkins' fourth of the game early in the fourth, but the Lyons used a 3-1 run to close out the game.
Plymouth State falls to 1-3, while Wheaton wins its fourth straight to improve to 5-1.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 11, Wheaton 14
Plymouth State (1-3)
How it Happened:
* Wheaton scored twice in just over three minutes of play for an early lead, but seniors Paul Luongo (Northborough, Mass.) and Matt DeLizio (Woodbridge, Conn.) answered for the Panthers just 53 seconds apart to even the game midway through the opening quarter.
* The Lyons went ahead with 3:26 left in the frame and the score would remain 3-2 into the second quarter.
* Sophomore Chase Mercier (Boscawen, N.H.) retied the game with his sixth goal of the year just 37 seconds into the second quarter.
* Freshman Pete Chisholm (Westford, Mass.) scored twice for the hosts as they retook the lead, 5-3, with 5:12 left in the first half, but Elkins and senior Chris Waterbury (Clinton, Conn.) answered for PSU to head into halftime with the game tied 5-5.
* Elkins completed the hat trick 1:34 into the third quarter to give the Panthers their first lead, 6-5, but the hosts answered with three straight goals to leapfrog back in front. Elkins momentarily stopped the momentum, cutting the deficit to 8-7 midway through the stanza, but Wheaton followed with three more to pull ahead 11-7.
* Sophomore Connor Delea (Manchester, N.H.) snuck a goal in with just one second remaining on the clock to make it an 11-8 game heading into the final 15 minutes.
* Luongo and Elkins made it a one-goal game, 11-10, with goals in the first 2:48 of the frame, but Wheaton answered with three consecutive goals to seize control.
* Elkins capped his career game with a fifth goal with 1:14 to play, accounting for the final score.
Inside the Numbers:
* Elkins' previous career high was three goals, accomplished in a win over UNE in the season-opener.
* In addition to the five goals, Elkins added an assist for a career-best six points. He has scored at least once in each game this season and leads the team with 10 tallies on the year.
* Luongo (two goals), Delea (one goal, one assist) and junior Chuck Harrington (Walpole, Mass.) also had multipoint games for the Panthers. Harrington contributed a pair of helpers.
* Harrington led PSU with a game-high eight ground balls and forced two Lyons' turnovers. Senior Sam McCoy (Dewey Beach, Del.) chipped in with five.
* Senior Zel Kerkel (Loudon, N.H.) made 13 saves for the Panthers but dropped to 1-3. His counterpart, junior Chandler Miller (West Linn, Ore.) made 17 stops to improve to 5-1.
* Wheaton held a narrow 46-45 advantage in shots and owned a 27-20 advantage in ground balls.
* Plymouth State opens Little East Conference play on Saturday (Mar. 23) with a 3:00 p.m. game at Eastern Connecticut.
* The Lyons travel to Trinity College for a non-conference game on Tuesday (Mar. 26) at 7:00 p.m.
– 30 –