Delea tallies career-high five goals in setback
WORCESTER, Mass. – Sophomore Connor Delea (Manchester, N.H.) tallied a career-high five goals, but a slow start cost Plymouth State University in a 17-11 setback at Clark University in non-conference men's lacrosse action under the lights at Granger Field on Wednesday night.
The Cougars scored the game's first five goals and never looked back. The Panthers notched a late tally to cut the margin to 5-1 after the first and hung tight through the final 45 minutes but were unable to chip away at the early deficit.
Plymouth State drops to 1-4, while Clark improves to 4-5.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 11, Clark 17
Plymouth State (1-4)
How it Happened:
* The Cougars got out to a quick start, building a 5-0 lead through the first 12 minutes of action. Senior Casey Elkins (Stow, Mass.) stopped the streak with his tenth goal of the year in the final minute to cut the deficit to 5-1.
* The teams traded goals throughout the second quarter. Clark scored first, but sophomore Chase Mercier (Boscawen, N.H.) answered less than a minute later to make it 6-2.
* The hosts tacked on two more, but senior Chris Waterbury (Clinton, Conn.) scored for the Panthers and Delea followed with his first of the game to make it 8-4.
* The Cougars tallied another pair of goals within the final 90 seconds, but Elkins' second of the night made it a 10-5 game at the half.
* Each team scored three times in the third, with Delea netting all three PSU tallies, as Clark took a 13-8 lead into the final stanza.
* The hosts looked to put the game away with three straight scores in the first five minutes of the frame to pull ahead, 16-8, but PSU answered with a 3-0 spurt of its own.
* Junior Chuck Harrington (Walpole, Mass.) picked up his first of the year to start the surge. Delea followed with his career-best fifth of the game and Mercier added an unassisted goal with three minutes remaining to pull PSU to within 16-11.
* The Cougars capped the win with a man-up goal with 2:31 remaining to account for the final score.
Inside the Numbers:
* Delea's five goals topped his previous best mark of four, accomplished twice last spring.
* Elkins finished with two goals and an assist and leads the Panthers with 12 goals and 14 points on the year.
* Mercier's two goals give him eight on the season.
* Harrington added a team-best ten ground balls and two caused turnovers.
* Senior Zel Kerkel (Loudon, N.H.) made ten saves in the setback.
* PSU forced the Cougars into 17 turnovers.
* Clark held a narrow 46-44 advantage in shots.
* Plymouth State opens Little East Conference play on Saturday (Mar. 30) with a 2:00 p.m. game at WestConn.
* The Cougars host Coast Guard in their NEWMAC opener on Saturday (Mar. 30) at 8:00 p.m.
– 30 –