Luongo, Delea with five goals apiece in LEC win
DANBURY, Conn. – Senior Paul Luongo (Northborough, Mass.) and sophomore Connor Delea (Manchester, N.H.) both scored five times and added three assists to lead Plymouth State University to a 15-14, come-from-behind win over Western Connecticut State University in Little East Conference (LEC) men's lacrosse action Saturday afternoon at the WAC.
The teams traded goals through the first quarter, but WestConn scored six straight times to open the second and the hosts took a 10-5 lead into halftime. The Colonials opened the third quarter with another tally, and still led 12-7 midway through the frame when the Panthers rallied. PSU scored five times in the final 5:39 of the quarter to knot the game at 12-12, then pulled in front with goals from Luongo and Delea midway through the fourth. WestConn scored twice in a 35-second span to tie the game, but Luongo capped his career-day with the game-winning tally with 2:47 left to play.
Plymouth State stops a four-game skid to improve to 2-4 and 1-0 in the Little East, while the Colonials fall to 6-5 and 1-1 in league play.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 15, WestConn 14
Plymouth State (2-4, 1-0 LEC)
WestConn (6-5, 1-1 LEC)
How it Happened:
* PSU jumped out to an early lead on Luongo's first goal in the opening minute, but WestConn scored the next two to pull ahead.
* Senior Jake Burns (Salem, N.H.) tied the game with his second of the year but the hosts went back in front three minutes later.
* Delea and sophomore Chase Mercier (Boscawen, N.H.) sandwiched goals around a tally from the Colonials to make it a 4-4 game at the end of the first.
* WestConn took control in the second quarter, scoring six straight times to take a 10-4 lead. Delea picked up his second of the game in the final seconds to cut the deficit to 10-5 at the half.
* Senior Chris Waterbury (Clinton, Conn.) and Delea both scored early in the third quarter, but WestConn added a pair of goals of its own to retain a 12-7 lead.
* The Panthers charged back with five straight scores to close out the stanza. Junior Trevor Gagnon (Pelham, N.H.) started the streak with his third of the year. Luongo scored twice during the stretch, while Delea completed the hat trick. Senior Casey Elkins (Stow, Mass.) closed the spurt with his 13th of the year to knot the game at 12-12 heading into the final 15 minutes.
* Luongo gave PSU its first lead since 1-0 with his fourth of the game in the opening minutes of the final stanza, and Delea made it a two-goal game with 6:27 to play.
* The Colonials answered with a pair of goals just 35 seconds apart to tie the game with 3:51 to play, but Luongo collected a feed from Delea and beat the WestConn goalie with 2:47 left and the Panthers held on for the win.
Inside the Numbers:
* Luongo's five goals and eight points were both career highs, while Delea scored five times for the second straight game, matching a career-best. He also finished with eight points for a new career-high.
* Gagnon finished with a goal and four assists, setting new career marks for assists and points in a game.
* Waterbury totaled a goal and an assist.
* Junior Chuck Harrington (Walpole, Mass.) recorded double-digit ground balls for the second straight game after corralling a personal-best 12. He added five caused turnovers.
* Senior Zel Kerkel (Loudon, N.H.) made two saves over the first 21 minutes before giving way to sophomore Robert Porter (Groveland, Mass.). Porter made seven stops over the final 39 minutes to pick up his first career win (1-0).
* Plymouth State hosts the University of Southern Maine in its home opener on Wednesday (Apr. 3). The LEC contest will take place at the New Hampton School at 5:00 p.m.
* WestConn's next game is also against Southern Maine, at home on Saturday (Apr. 6) with a 1:00 p.m. start.
– 30 –