Porter makes career-high 22 saves in LEC setback
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Robert Porter (Groveland, Mass.) made a career-high 22 saves but a big third quarter led Keene State College to a 17-7 win over Plymouth State University in Little East Conference (LEC) men's lacrosse action at Kennedy Field at the New Hampton School on Thursday night.
The Owls opened the game with three straight goals and held a 3-1 lead at the end of the first quarter. Keene pushed the lead to 5-1, before the teams traded goals as the visitors took a 6-2 lead into halftime. Plymouth State cut the deficit to 6-3 early in the third, but the Owls scored seven straight goals to seize control, 13-3, heading into the final 15 minutes. Both teams would find the back of the net four times in the final stanza.
Plymouth State drops its first conference game of the year to fall to 4-6 and 3-1 in league play. Keene State improves to 7-5 and 6-0 in the LEC.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 7, Keene State 17
Plymouth State (4-6, 3-1 LEC)
Keene State (7-5, 6-0 LEC)
How it Happened:
* Senior Bobby Carey (Wallingford, Conn.) scored three straight in the opening quarter to give the visitors a 3-0 lead, before sophomore Connor Delea (Manchester, N.H.) found the back of the cage for the Panthers.
* The Owls pushed the advantage to 5-1 midway through the second, but senior Casey Elkins (Stow, Mass.) answered for PSU. The visitors added a tally in the final minutes of the half to take a 6-2 lead into the break.
* Senior Paul Luongo (Northborough, Mass.) brought the Panthers to within three, 6-3, with his 18th of the year in the opening minute of the third quarter, but the visitors took control with a 7-0 run to close out the frame.
* Luongo picked up his second of the game and sophomore Chase Mercier (Boscawen, N.H.) added 11th of the year as the Panthers cut the margin to 13-5, but the Owls followed with a 4-0 spurt.
* Senior Chris Waterbury (Clinton, Conn.) buried a feed from junior Trevor Gagnon (Pelham, N.H.) with 3:14 to play and Delea added his 32nd of the season in the final minute to account for the final score.
Inside the Numbers:
* Delea led the Panthers with two goals and two assists, but his streak of five-straight games with five-plus goals came to an end.
* Luongo (two goals) was the only other Panther with a multi-point game.
* Porter's previous career-high was 18 saves, made in a setback to New England College last week. He fell to 3-2 on the season.
* Carey led the Owls with six goals and an assist.
* Sophomore Chase Chamberlin (Bow, N.H.) improved to 5-2 after making five saves for the Owls.
* Plymouth State visits the University of Massachusetts Boston on Saturday (Apr. 20) for another LEC contest. Game time is set for 4:00 p.m.
* The Owls are also in league action on Saturday (Apr. 20) when they host WestConn at 3:00 p.m.
– 30 –