Delea's seven points lead Panthers to Senior Day win
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Connor Delea (Manchester, N.H.) scored five goals and added a pair of assists to lead Plymouth State University to a 17-10 win over Castleton University in a Little East Conference (LEC) men's lacrosse game at Kennedy Field on Senior Day on Tuesday night.
Delea scored three times in the first quarter as the hosts took a 4-1 lead. Castleton cut the deficit to 4-3 early in the second, but back-to-back goals for the Panthers made it a 6-3 advantage at the half.
PSU erupted for seven goals in the third quarter as the lead ballooned to 13-6 and both teams scored four times in the final 15 minutes as the Panthers earned the win.
Plymouth State runs its record to 5-1 in the LEC and 6-6 overall. With a win in one of their final two games the Panthers will secure the second seed and a first round bye for the LEC tournament. Castleton falls to 4-12 and 2-6 in league play.
Prior to the game, Plymouth State recognized the 13 seniors playing in their final regular season home game; Sean Peet (Glen Cove, N.Y.), Chris Waterbury (Clinton, Conn.), Jake Burns (Salem, N.H.), Steve Tewksbury (Derry, N.H.), JR Barnes (Hopkinton, Mass.), Harvest Perez (Walpole, Mass.), Sam McCoy (Dewey Beach, Del.), Patrick Griffin (Sandwich, Mass.), Paul Luongo (Northborough, Mass.), Matt DeLizio (Woodbridge, Conn.), Zel Kerkel (Loudon, N.H.), Casey Elkins (Stow, Mass.) and Kyle Day (Hampton, N.H.).
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 17, Castleton 10
Plymouth State (6-6, 5-1 LEC)
Castleton (4-12, 2-6 LEC)
How it Happened:
* Delea and junior Chuck Harrington (Walpole, Mass.) scored unassisted goals just six seconds apart to give the Panthers a 2-0 lead early in the first quarter.
* Castleton cut the deficit in half, but Delea notched back-to-back tallies in a 49-second span to make it 4-1 after the opening 15 minutes.
* The Spartans opened the second quarter with a pair of scores to cut the lead to 4-3, but PSU responded with tallies from Elkins and Harrington to take a 6-3 advantage into the half.
* Delea picked up his fourth of the game in the opening minute of the third quarter, but Castleton senior Kyle Lutinski (New Fairfield, Conn.) responded with the first of his two goals a minute later.
* PSU outscored the visitors 6-2 over the next 12 minutes to build a 13-6 lead. Burns scored twice in the stretch, with Elkins, Luongo, Delea and junior Trevor Gagnon (Pelham, N.H.) also finding the back of the cage.
* Luongo and Burns went back-to-back to start the fourth, but the Spartans used a 3-0 spurt to cut the margin to 15-9.
* Burns stopped the streak with his fourth of the game and Gagnon added another tally with 44 seconds remaining, before Castleton capped the scoring with a goal with six seconds left to play.
Inside the Numbers:
* Delea posted his sixth game of at least five goals and now leads the Panthers with 40 goals on the year.
* Burns collected the first four-goal game of his career, while Gagnon (two goals, two assists), Luongo (two goals, one assist), Harrington (two goals) and Elkins (two goals) all had multi-point games for PSU.
* Sophomore Robert Porter (Groveland, Mass.) made 12 saves over the first 51:07 to earn the win and improve to 5-2, while Kerkel made one stop over the final 8:53.
* Lutinski led the visitors with two goals and two assists, while three other Spartans each tallied a pair of goals.
* Senior Brandon Myron (Rensselaer, N.Y.) made 18 saves, but suffered the loss to fall to 3-9 on the year.
* PSU outshot the Spartans by a 62-38 margin, won 21-of-31 face offs and held a 43-27 advantage in ground balls.
* Barnes led all players with a career-high ten ground balls, while Harrington added nine.
* The Panthers head to the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth on Friday (Apr. 26) for a 7:00 p.m. LEC clash.
* Castleton wraps up the regular season with a non-conference game under the lights at Emmanuel College on Thursday (Apr. 25) at 7:00 p.m.
|Plymouth State seniors with their families prior to their Senior Day win over Castleton|
– 30 –