Delea scores three times as Panthers eye LEC Tournament
MANSFIELD, Conn. – Sophomore Connor Delea (Manchester, N.H.) scored three times and added an assist, but Plymouth State University dropped the regular season finale to Eastern Connecticut State University, 12-10, in a Little East Conference (LEC) men's lacrosse game at Rick McCarthy Field on Sunday.
PSU scored first, but the Warriors used a 5-0 spurt to take the lead for good. Plymouth State cut the margin to two on three separate occasions but couldn't get any closer as Eastern Connecticut held on for the win.
Plymouth State wraps up the regular season with a 7-7 mark and 6-2 record in conference play. The Panthers will be the second seed for the upcoming LEC Tournament and will face the winner of the No. 3 vs. No. 6 first round game in the semifinal round on Friday (May 3) at top-seeded Keene State.
The Final Score:
Plymouth State 10, Eastern Connecticut 12
Plymouth State (7-7, 6-2 LEC)
Eastern Connecticut (7-8, 4-4 LEC)
How it Happened:
* Plymouth State got the scoring started when Delea picked up his 44th goal of the year midway through the first quarter.
* The hosts scored the next five goals to grab the lead, but Delea struck again in the final seconds to make it a 5-2 game after one.
* Eastern scored four minutes into the second quarter to restore the four-goal lead, but senior Jake Burns (Salem, N.H.) cut the deficit to 6-3 with four minutes left in the half.
* The Warriors tacked on two more to push the lead to 8-3 at the intermission.
* Plymouth State came out of the break on fire, scoring three times in the first four minutes to cut the margin to 8-6. Sophomore Chase Mercier (Boscawen, N.H.) got the streak started, which also included goals from seniors Paul Luongo (Northborough, Mass.) and Casey Elkins (Stow, Mass.).
* Eastern Connecticut answered with a 3-0 spurt of its own, before Luongo and Delea found the back of the cage again to make it 11-8 heading into the final 15 minutes.
* Elkins picked up his second of the day to make it a two-goal game (11-9) with 13 minutes remaining, but the Warriors responded six minutes later.
* Junior Chuck Harrington (Walpole, Mass.) again pulled the Panthers to within two (12-10) with a man-down goal in the final five minutes, but PSU couldn't get any closer.
Inside the Numbers:
* With three goals and an assist, Delea extends his streak of four-point games to nine straight. He leads the Panthers with 46 goals and 58 points.
* Elkins finished with two goals and an assist, while Luongo scored twice. Burns also had a multi-point game with a goal and an assist.
* Harrington led the Panthers with five ground balls and four caused turnovers.
* Sophomore Robert Porter (Groveland, Mass.) made seven saves in goal, but suffered the loss to end the regular season with a 6-3 mark.
* PSU held a 41-29 advantage in shots, while Eastern Connecticut won the ground ball battle by a 33-28 margin.
* As the number two seed for next week's LEC Tournament, Plymouth State receives a bye into the semifinal round. The Panthers will face the winner of No. 3 Western Connecticut State University vs. No. 6 University of Massachusetts Boston in the semifinals Friday (May 3) at Keene State. Game time has yet to be determined.
– 30 –