Dolcimascolo, Delea help Wilus to first career win
NORTHFIELD, Vt. – Freshman Jake Dolcimascolo (Georgetown, Mass.) and junior Connor Delea (Manchester, N.H.) combined for seven goals and three assists to lead Plymouth State University to a 10-7 win over Norwich University in a non-conference men's lacrosse game at Sabine Field on Tuesday afternoon.
The win was the first career victory for interim head coach Mike Wilus. PSU used a three-goal third quarter to jump ahead, 6-3, after a defensive first half battle. The Panthers took their biggest lead of the game, 8-4, with 11:41 left in the fourth quarter, but three straight goals pulled the Cadets to within one, 8-7. Dolcimascolo pushed the lead back to 9-7 with two minutes remaining, and Delea added an insurance goal in the final seconds to account for the final score.
Plymouth State picks up its first win of the year to even its record at 1-1. Norwich drops to 1-2 on the season.
Plymouth State 10, Norwich 7
Plymouth State (1-1)
How it Happened.
- Dolcimascolo got the Panthers off to a good start as he buried a close range shot at the three-minute mark of the first quarter. Norwich came back to even the game 2:36 later and the game would remain tied into the second quarter.
- The Cadets went ahead, but Delea scored his third of the year on a man-up opportunity with 12:27 left in the half, and sophomore Mark Iamele (Georgetown, Mass.) gave the Panthers a 3-2 lead six minutes later.
- Norwich knotted the game at 3-3 with 3:22 left on the clock and the game went into the half all squared up.
- PSU pulled ahead with a three-goal third quarter. Sophomore Riley Roy (Laconia, N.H.) gave Plymouth State a 4-3 lead just 1:13 into the frame. Delea found the bottom right corner on an odd-man rush in a man-up situation with 1:46 left in the quarter and Dolcimascolo made it 6-3 just 19 seconds later.
- The teams traded goals over the first six minutes of the final stanza with Roy and Dolcimascolo giving the Panthers an 8-4 advantage with 11:41 left.
- The Cadets rallied with three straight scores to trim the deficit to one, 8-7, with five minutes to go, but Dolcimascolo answered with his fourth of the game and Delea wrapped up the win in the final seconds.
Inside the Numbers:
- Dolcimascolo notched his second straight four-point game with four goals, while Delea scored three times and added three assists.
- Roy added a pair of tallies, while Iamele and freshman Nick Drew (Chelmsford, Mass.) also had multi-point efforts.
- Senior Charlie Harrington (Walpole, Mass.) posted game-highs of nine ground balls and four caused turnovers as junior Zach Conrad (Walpole, Mass.) added five ground balls.
- Junior Robert Porter (Groveland, Mass.) stopped 11 shots to improve to 1-1, while junior Nick Kandra (Crofton, Md.) made seven saves for the Cadets but fell to 1-2.
- Norwich held a 45-28 advantage in shots, including 31-11 in the first half.
- PSU narrowly won the ground ball battle 30-28.
- PSU heads to Lasell on Saturday (Mar. 7) for a 12:00 p.m. contest.
– 30 –