Panthers deadlock Vikings in season opener
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Plymouth State University junior Erik Ljunglof (Orebro, Sweden) knocked in a rebound with five minutes remaining in regulation Friday afternoon to tie the score, and the Panthers went on to finish with a 3-3 double-overtime tie against Salem State University in the men's soccer season opener for both schools at Arold Field.
Arold Field, Plymouth, N.H. – Friday, Sept. 2, 2016
Plymouth State 3, Salem State 3 (2-OT)
PSU 0-0-1; SSC 0-0-1
* Each team scored once in the first half, senior Tim Kilpatrick (San Clemente, Calif.) for SSU and sophomore Gaston Arocena (Montevideo, Uruguay) for the Panthers.
* Junior Nick Rutherford (Sydney, Australia) put the Panthers ahead a minute into the second half.
* Salem State regained the lead with a pair of goals five minutes apart, freshman Vien Pham (Melrose, Mass.) connecting at 64:17 and junior Christian Romero (Boston, Mass.) at 69:17.
* Ljunglof tied the score on a rebound after a shot by sophomore Dan Shaw (Winchester, England) hit the right post.
* PSU had a 17-13 advantage in total shots.
* PSU senior GK Felix Lindeberg (Stockholm, Sweden) made seven saves; SSU junior GK Greg Enos (Peabody, Mass.) made 10 saves.
* Enos stopped PSU freshman Jerry Randolph (Malmo, Sweden) on a penalty kick in the second half.
* Season opener for both schools
* Former PSU letterman Mason Cliche, who was killed in a car accident after last season, was honored with a moment of silence before the game (Pictured at right)
Plymouth State at New England College, Sunday, Sept. 4, 5:00 p.m.
Salem State vs. Curry, Wednesday, Sept. 7, 5:15 p.m.
-- 30 --