#1 Tufts bests PSU Men’s Soccer

#1 Tufts bests PSU Men’s Soccer

Panthers with six day break before LEC opener

            PLYMOUTH, N.H. – The reigning NCAA Division III men's soccer national champion Tufts University shut out Plymouth State University, 4-0, at Arold Field on Sunday. The Jumbos (3-0), currently ranked number one in the nation, scored twice in each half to hand the Panthers (1-3) their third straight setback.

            Senior Jimmy Mansour (Auburn, N.H.) suffered his first loss of the season, making seven saves on the day.

            Despite steady offensive pressure from Tufts, the Panthers stayed even with the national powerhouse until midway through the opening half. Freshman Travis Van Brewer (Wilbraham, Mass.) found sophomore Zachary Trevorrow (Honolulu, Hawaii), who beat Mansour to take a 1-0 advantage in the 26th minute.

            Plymouth State was able to build some momentum, winning balls at the midfield, but Tufts struck again in the 41st minute to double its lead. An attempted cross by freshman Calvin Aroh (Glastonbury, Conn.) snuck under Mansour's outstretched gloves and into the back of the net to give the Jumbos a 2-0 advantage at the half.

            Senior Tyler Kulcsar (Wayne, N.J.) gave Tuft's some breathing room early in the second half. Sophomore Brett Rojas (Madison, N.J.) kept a ball in play just outside the six-yard box, then found Kulscar, who extended the lead to three goals.

            Senior Kevin Halliday (Cranbury, N.J.) closed the scoring in the 50th minute when he got past Mansour in a one-on-one.

            Senior Nick Rutherford (Sydney, Australia) had a pair of shots blocked by the Jumbos defense, and the Panthers' best scoring opportunity came in the 67th minute, but the Tufts keeper was able to make a stop on a shot from sophomore Mauricio Acevedo (Nashua, N.H.).

            Plymouth State will open Little East Conference play on Saturday (Sept. 16) when the Panthers travel to UMass Dartmouth for a 1:00 p.m. game.



– 30 –