Panthers play second straight double-OT contest
HENNIKER, N.H. – The Plymouth State University men's soccer team played 110 minutes of soccer for the seconds straight game, before settling for a 3-3 tie with New England College in a non-conference game under the lights at Don Melander Field on Monday night.
PSU rallied back from deficits of 1-0 and 2-1 to take a 3-2 lead in the 72nd minute, but the Pilgrims knotted the score six minutes later and neither team could put one past the opposing goalkeeper in extra time.
With the draw, both teams stand at 0-1-1 on the young season.
Plymouth State 3, New England College 3 (2OT)
Plymouth State 0-1-1
New England College 0-1-1
How it Happened:
* The Pilgrims inserted a quick ball off a corner from the left side to the far post. Sophomore Jackson Easter (Weare, N.H.) volleyed the feed past PSU sophomore goalkeeper Linus Lindeberg (Stockholm, Sweden) to senior Owen Lloyd (Somers, N.Y.), who touched it into the open goal for a 1-0 lead in the 15th minute.
* PSU evened the score in the 26th minute. Sophomore Erik Armskog (Gothenburg, Sweden) bent a corner kick to the near post and classmate Nate Roberts (Gorham, Maine) was able to touch it past graduate student Dylan Mix (Charlestown, N.H.) to knot the game at one.
* NEC retook the lead in the 34th minute when senior Vasili Vakalfotis (Burlington, Mass.) blasted a left-footed shot from 25-yards out just over a leaping Lindeberg.
* The Panthers tied things up again in the 60th minute when Armskog twisted a corner into the box to the head of senior Dan Shaw (Winchester, England), who snapped it into the goal.
* PSU took the lead in the 72nd minute, scoring on another corner kick. Senior Juan Rivera (Mt. Kisco, N.Y.) sent the ball to the near post, where Shaw headed it through the 6-yard box to the far post for junior Joni Hongisto (Kaarina, Finland). Hongisto's header found the back of the net and the Panthers led 3-2.
* The lead didn't last long, as NEC countered with the equalizer less than seven minutes later. Senior Cooper Valinski (Portsmouth, N.H.) sent a corner to the back of the 6-yard box to freshman Brooklyn Ramsdell (Manchester, Conn.), whose header found the back of the net.
* The Panthers best shot at a game-winner came in the 95th minute. Roberts blasted a shot from inside the 18-yard box, but Mix made a diving stop. The rebound went to freshman Milian Eklund (Akersberga, Sweden), but his shot at the open net hit the crossbar.
Inside the Numbers:
* Lindeberg posted six saves in goal, while his counterpart Mix made nine saves.
* Roberts' goal was the first of his career.
* NEC held a slight 27-23 advantage in shots and the teams both attempted six corners.
* PSU moves to 4-3-1 all-time against the Pilgrims. NEC topped the Panthers by a 3-2 margin a year ago.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"It was nice to find our goal scoring form," said head coach Rob Wright. "It was great to see Nate [Roberts] score his first career goal. The guys are looking forward to playing at home on Wednesday."
* PSU opens its home schedule on Wednesday (Sept. 5) at 5:00 p.m. with a non-conference tilt against Suffolk.
* NEC travels to Nichols College on Saturday (Sept. 8) for a noon contest.
– 30 –