Lindeberg posts four saves in non-conference setback
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore goalkeeper Linus Lindeberg (Stockholm, Sweden) made four saves, but the Plymouth State University men's soccer fell to Endicott College, 2-0, in a non-conference game at Arold Field on Saturday afternoon.
The Panthers struggled to get consistent offensive pressure, firing just two shots on goal compared to four by the Gulls. Endicott freshman Arian Pilja (Arlington, Mass.) scored the game winner for the visitors in the first half, while junior Evan Couchot (Mason, Ohio) matched the program's all-time goals scored record with his second half marker.
Plymouth moves to 1-2-1, while Endicott improves to 1-3-0.
Plymouth State 0, Endicott 2
Plymouth State 1-2-1
How it Happened:
* PSU's best scoring chance came early in the first half. Sophomore Ryan Brown (Milton, Vt.) charged into the box for a header that nicked the crossbar in the 8th minute.
* Pilja notched his first career goal in the 23rd minute, scoring on a breakaway chance.
* Plymouth State had another scoring opportunity just into the second half. Senior Juan Rivera (Mt. Kisco, N.Y.) put a header on a cross in the 47th minute, but Gulls' goalkeeper Jack Bacon (Lincoln, R.I.) was able to make the save.
* Couchot gave Endicott some breathing room when his header off a corner from Pilja found the back of the net. It gave Couchot 24 career goals, equaling the program's all-time record.
Inside the Numbers:
* Endicott opened the season with back-to-back losses to nationally ranked teams; No. 4 Brandeis University and No. 25 St. Joseph's College of Maine.
* PSU leads the all-time series 3-1-1, but today's contest was the first meeting between the two teams since the 2006 season.
* The Gulls finished last season ranked 10th in New England.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"We competed well for long periods of time today," said head coach Rob Wright, "but we can't let off. Offensively we've got to do a better job of taking advantage of the opportunities we're presented with."
* PSU will host Pine Manor College on Tuesday (Sept. 11) at 5:00 p.m.
* Endicott travels to Connecticut College for a 4:00 p.m. contest on Tuesday (Sept. 11).
– 30 –