Macedo's late goal pushes Panthers past Gators
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Cam Macedo (Oakland, R.I.) settled a feed from freshman sophomore Erik Armskog (Gothenburg, Sweden) at the top of the box and fired a low shot to the near post in the 84th minute to lift Plymouth State University past Pine Manor College, 3-2, in a non-conference men's soccer game at Arold Field on Tuesday evening.
Both teams battled back and forth during a contentious game. Pine Manor took leads of 1-0 and 2-1, but each time the Panthers were able to respond, setting up Macedo's game-winner.
Plymouth moves to 2-2-1, while Pine Manor drops to 3-1-0.
Plymouth State 3, Pine Manor 2
Plymouth State 2-2-1
Pine Manor 3-1-0
How it Happened:
* Pine Manor struck first in the 10th minute of play as Jose Corrales (El Paso, Texas) notched his second goal of the season for the early 1-0 lead.
* PSU scored the equalizer in the 37 th minute when junior Cam Bunn (Melbourne, Australia) sent a cross into the box. Sophomore Ryan Brown (Milton, Vt.) deflected the ball to senior Truls Julseth (Fredrikstad, Norway), who beat the PMC goalkeeper for his first goal of the season.
* Corrales scored his second goal of the day shortly after halftime to put the visitors back in front, 2-1, in the 51st minute.
* The Panthers again rallied, evening things in the 67th minute when Bunn blasted a shot from 25-yards out on the left side that found the back of the net.
* With the game appearing to be destined for overtime, Macedo collected a centering ball from Armskog at the top of the 18-yard box that he kept low to the left post for the game-winner.
Inside the Numbers:
* Junior Owen Caggiano (Sandwich, Mass.) made five saves in his first career start to earn the win.
* A total of 28 fouls were called, with Pine Manor being whistled 12 times in the second half alone. The Gators picked up five yellow cards and a red, while PSU was charged with a pair of yellows.
* Macedo's game-winning tally was his first career goal.
* PMC freshman Elmer Pineda (Santa Rosa, Calif.) entered the game with six goals over his first three games, the third most in the country entering play.
* Today's contest was the first-ever meeting between the two programs.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Ultimately I'm very pleased with the result," said head coach Rob Wright. "Pine Manor played very well and put us under lots of pressure early on. We were able to ride the storm and come out on top and that's great for the guys. A special note to Cam [Macedo] who scored the game-winner on his first career goal."
* The Panthers open Little East Conference (LEC) play at home on Saturday (Sept. 15). PSU will host UMass Dartmouth at Arold Field at 4:00 p.m.
* Pine Manor hosts Fitchburg State tomorrow (Sept. 12) at 4:00 p.m.
– 30 –