Lindeberg posts six saves in second career shutout
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Neither Plymouth State University nor the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth were able to score through 110 minutes as the two teams played to a draw in a Little East Conference (LEC) men's soccer game at Arold Field on Saturday afternoon.
PSU held a 14-12 advantage in shots, but both goalkeepers recorded six saves to keep the game scoreless.
Plymouth moves to 2-2-2, while UMD goes to 0-4-1.
Plymouth State 0, UMass Dartmouth 0 (2 OT)
Plymouth State 2-2-2
UMass Dartmouth 0-4-1
How it Happened:
* Plymouth State fired seven shots, including three on goal, during the first half, highlighted by a blast from freshman Alyosha Westbrook (Los Angeles, Calif.) in the 29th minute, but UMD freshman goalkeeper Jacob Castro (Swansea, Mass.) was able to make the save.
* UMass Dartmouth put two shots on net in the opening 45 minutes, but sophomore Linus Lindeberg (Stockholm, Sweden) collected them both.
* The Corsairs' best scoring chance came in the 62nd minute, when sophomore Joe Morehead (Fairhaven, Mass.) and freshman Tailer Goncalves (Fall River, Mass.) fired consecutive shots on goal, but Lindeberg was able to stop them both.
* The Panthers had chances in the first overtime, but a header from senior Juan Rivera (Mt. Kisco, N.Y.) was blocked and Westbrook's shot was corralled by Castro.
Inside the Numbers:
* The six-save shutout was Lindeberg's first of the year and his second career blanking.
* The tie was Plymouth's first in an LEC contest since the Panthers and Eastern Connecticut State played to a 1-1 draw in 2015.
* Plymouth State held a 12-5 advantage in corner kicks.
* This was just the second tie between the two teams. PSU holds an 18-7-2 edge in the all-time series.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Overall I'm pleased with the fighting spirit our guys showed in an incredibly intense game," said head coach Rob Wright. "The first shutout of the season is a big deal. Overall a draw is a great result for both teams … that's conference soccer."
* Plymouth State has a week to prepare for another LEC foe. The Panthers will travel to Southern Maine for a match-up with the Huskies on Saturday (Sept. 22) at 1:00 p.m.
* UMD travels to Salem State for a non-conference game on Wednesday (Sept. 19). Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m.
– 30 –