Armskog scores for Panthers in LEC setback
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Nick Starkowski (Marlborough, Conn.) scored on a penalty kick in the 70th minute to lead Eastern Connecticut State University to a 2-1 win over Plymouth State University in Little East Conference (LEC) men's soccer action at Arold Field on Saturday afternoon.
The Warriors took a 1-0 lead into halftime, but Plymouth State rallied with a goal from sophomore Erik Armskog (Gothenburg, Sweden) in the 50th minute. The Panthers were called for a foul inside the box, setting up Starkowski's game-winning penalty kick.
The Panthers move to 2-4-2 and 0-2-1 in Little East action, while Eastern Connecticut improves to 8-1-0 and 3-1-0 in the LEC.
Plymouth State 1, Eastern Connecticut 2
Plymouth State 2-4-2, 0-2-1 LEC
Eastern Connecticut 8-1-0, 3-1-0 LEC
How it Happened:
* Eastern Connecticut had a chance to take the lead in the 16th minute after the Panthers were called for a hand ball inside the box. Junior Justin Jensen (Wethersfield, Conn.) pushed a shot low to the right post, but PSU sophomore goalkeeper Linus Lindeberg (Stockholm, Sweden) fully extended to his left to deny the chance.
* Senior Dan Shaw (Winchester, England) had a chance to put the home team up in the 29th minute, but his shot was cleared by junior Zach Kulman (Stafford Springs, Conn.).
* The Warriors took a 1-0 lead in the 42nd minute when freshman Zack Kindall (Ellington, Conn.) buried a cross to near post following a cross from sophomore Jake Szymko (Upton, Mass.) for his first career tally.
* The Panthers evened the game early in the second half. Freshman Alyosha Westbrook (Los Angeles, Calif.) launched a throw in toward the near post, where senior Melker Blomberg (Stockholm, Sweden) headed it to the middle. Armskog crashed toward the goal, flicking the ball past the frozen ECSU goalkeeper.
* Eastern Connecticut was awarded a penalty kick after the Panthers were whistled for a foul in the box and Starkowski made good on his attempt to account for the 2-1 final.
Inside the Numbers:
* PSU outshot the Warriors by a 12-7 margin, but just four of the Panthers shots were on goal.
* Lindeberg made four stops for PSU, but fell to 1-4-2, while senior Ryan Murphy (Cromwell, Conn.) needed just one stop to improve to 7-1-0.
* ECSU earned four corner kicks, while the Panthers earned three.
* PSU has gone 17-14-3 against the Warriors dating back to the 1986 season. The Panthers topped Eastern Connecticut by a 4-1 margin a year ago.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Today was a very competitive match and I feel we played extremely well against a very good team," said head coach Rob Wright. "We need to get over the hump of finishing our chances. We had great performances from all over the field to bring the game into the final minutes. Linus [Lindeberg] played well, but it's hard to expect your goalkeeper to make multiple saves on penalty kicks."
* PSU travels to Rhode Island College on Monday (Oct. 1) for a make-up of this week's washed out LEC contest. Game time is set for 4:30 p.m.
* The Warriors host in-state rival Connecticut College for a non-conference tilt on Tuesday (Oct. 2) at 4:00 p.m.
– 30 –