Blomberg's goal leads Panthers to LEC win
PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Senior Melker Blomberg (Stockholm, Sweden) picked up his first goal of the season heading in a cross in the 58th minute to lead Plymouth State University to a 1-0 win over Rhode Island College in a Little East Conference (LEC) men's soccer game at a muddy Alumni Field on Monday evening.
Sophomore Linus Lindeberg (Stockholm, Sweden) made seven stops to pick up his second shutout of the year, helping guide PSU to its first win over the Anchormen since the 2012 season.
With the win the Panthers improve to 3-4-2 and 1-2-1 in the LEC, while RIC falls to 3-5-1 and 1-3-0 in league play.
Plymouth State 1, Rhode Island College 0
Plymouth State 3-4-2, 1-2-1 LEC
Rhode Island College 3-5-1, 1-3-0 LEC
How it Happened:
* The rain-drenched field led to slick conditions as both teams struggled with their footing early on.
* Plymouth State had a great scoring opportunity in the 11th minute when sophomore Erik Armskog (Gothenburg, Sweden) sent a free kick to the near post from 45 yards out. A PSU forward crashed the net, but his volley went wide.
* Freshman Brandon Ramos (Boston, Mass.) had a great scoring chance for RIC in the 28th minute. He charged down the left side on a counterattack, but Lindeberg came off his line to play the ball away.
* Two minutes later junior Corey Chantre (Pawtucket, R.I.) had an even better opportunity. A RIC attacker carried the ball along the left side of the goal line, then sent a centering pass through traffic in front of the net, but Chantre's sliding shot went high.
* Blomberg gave PSU the lead in the 58th minute when he headed a cross from freshman Alyosha Westbrook (Los Angeles, Calif.) for his first tally of the year.
* PSU nearly doubled the lead in the 70th minute. Armskog sent a free kick to the front of the goal, but Westbrook's header sailed just over the crossbar.
* Plymouth State had another golden opportunity just minutes later. Freshman Milian Eklund (Akersberga, Sweden) streaked down the left side into the box, then sent a centering pass across the six-yard box to senior Juan Rivera (Mt. Kisco, N.Y.), but the pass was a little behind Rivera, who was unable to adjust due to the sloppy field conditions.
Inside the Numbers:
* Lindeberg picked up his third shutout of his career. His seven saves matched the second highest total of the season.
* RIC held a 15-8 advantage in shots and 7-4 edge in corner kicks.
* PSU has gone 20-13-3 against the Anchormen dating back to the 1986 season.
* The Panthers' last win over RIC came during the 2012 season.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"I'm happy for the guys to see a little of their hard work pay off after coming up short in our last couple of games," said head coach Rob Wright. "It was an incredibly tough game in awful conditions, but the guys found a way to turn a strong performance into a win."
* Plymouth State heads to LEC-rival Keene State on Saturday (Oct. 6) for a 3:00 p.m. game.
* RIC hosts Westfield State on Wednesday (Oct. 3) for a 6:00 p.m. non-conference tilt.
– 30 –