Lindeberg turns aside nine shots in LEC setback
KEENE, N.H. – Sophomore goalkeeper Linus Lindeberg (Stockholm, Sweden) turned away nine shots, but the Plymouth State University men's soccer team was handed a tough 3-1 loss by Keene State College in a Little East Conference (LEC) game at Owl Stadium on Saturday evening.
Lindeberg put forth a typical strong effort in goal, but it wasn't enough to stop a potent Keene State attack. First half goals by freshman Wesley McIntosh (Bedford, N.H.) and sophomore Emmanuel Smith (Concord, N.H.) set the tone for the Owls and they never looked back. Smith added a second goal in the 83rd minute before PSU junior Joni Hongisto (Kaarina, Finland) spoiled the shutout in the 90th minute to account for the final score.
With the loss the Panthers fall to 3-5-2 and 1-3-1 in LEC play, while Keene improves to 8-3-0 and remains unbeaten in conference action (4-0-0).
Plymouth State 1, Keene State 3
Plymouth State 3-5-2, 1-3-1 LEC
Keene State 8-3-0, 4-0-0 LEC
How it Happened:
* Keene State broke through early when McIntosh notched his team-leading fourth goal of the season in the 4th minute.
* The Owls upped the margin to 2-0 in the 38th minute when Smith put in his second goal of the year.
* Smith added his second of the day late in the second half to put the home team ahead 3-0.
* Plymouth State finally broke through in the 90th minute when Hongisto tallied his second goal of the year.
Inside the Numbers:
* Keene State has won sixth straight games, a streak that includes all four conference victories.
* The Owls held a 14-9 advantage in shots and 9-3 edge in corner kicks.
* Lindeberg was tested early and often as all eight of KSC's first half shots were on goal.
* Sophomore Erik Armskog (Gothenburg, Sweden) picked up his team-leading fourth assist of the year.
* Plymouth State hosts Castleton for an LEC match on Wednesday (Oct. 10) at 3:30 p.m.
* Keene is also in action on Wednesday (Oct. 10), traveling to Southern Maine for a 6:00 p.m. game.
– 30 –