Panthers charge for LEC Tournament falls short
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Despite holding a 16-11 advantage in shots, the Plymouth State University men's soccer suffered a 3-0 setback to Little East Conference (LEC) rival Western Connecticut State University in the regular season finale at a cold and rainy Arold Field on Saturday morning.
The setback ends the Panthers' bid for the Little East Tournament, while WestConn locks up the fourth seed.
The visitors' Matthew Restrepo (Bridgeport, Conn.) started the scoring off in the 33rd minute and they never looked back. Two second half goals, one each for Chauncey Allers (Wilton, Conn.) and Mikey Sciortino (Shelton, Conn.) solidified the 3-0 win.
With the loss the Panthers drop to 5-7-3 on the year and a 1-5-2 mark in LEC play. PSU finished two points behind Southern Maine for the sixth and final playoff spot. WestConn improves to 14-3-3 and 4-2-2 in the Little East.
Plymouth State 0, WestConn 3
Plymouth State 5-7-3, 1-5-2 LEC
WestConn 14-3-3, 4-2-2 LEC
How it Happened:
* WestConn broke through in the 33rd minute when Restrepo chipped a ball over Plymouth State goalie Owen Caggiano (Sandwich, Mass.) for the 1-0 lead.
* WestConn doubled the advantage in the 62nd minute when Allers picked up his 22nd goal of the year with another chip over the head of Caggiano.
* Sciortino added an insurance tally in the 79th minute to seal the game for the Colonials.
Inside the Numbers:
* Caggiano finished with five saves for the Panthers, while his counterpart, Daniel Szabo (Trumbull, Conn.), made seven stops.
* PSU held a 3-1 edge in corners.
* The Panthers fired 12 shots in the second half after mustering just four in the opening 45 minutes.
* Plymouth State drops to 7-6-2 over the last 15 head-to-head meetings, which includes seven one-goal games.
* The game marked the end of the careers of PSU seniors Dan Shaw (Winchester, England), Melker Blomberg (Stockholm, Sweden), Marc Herrington (Chelmsford, England), Nate Roberts (Gorham, Maine), Micah Peterson (Fremont, N.H.), Juan Rivera (Mt. Kisco, N.Y.) and Julseth.
* With the loss, the Panthers' season comes to end.
* WestConn will host a first round game on Tuesday (Oct. 30) against Castleton University. Game time has yet to be determined.
– 30 –