Hongisto scores for second straight game in LEC setback
DARTMOUTH, Mass. – Senior Joni Hongisto (Kaarina, Finland) scored for the second straight game, but the Plymouth State University men's soccer team dropped a 3-1 Little East Conference (LEC) decision to the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth on Saturday evening at Cressy Field.
Hongisto gave the Panthers a first half lead, but the hosts rallied with three goals in a 14-minute span, all scored by senior Junior Monteiro (New Bedford, Mass.), to claim the win.
Plymouth State dips to 1-4-1 on the season and falls to 0-1-0 in the LEC. The Corsairs moved to 5-3-0 overall and 1-1-0 in conference play.
Plymouth State 1, UMass Dartmouth 3
Plymouth State (1-4-1, 0-1-0 LEC)
UMass Dartmouth (5-3-0, 1-1-0 LEC)
How it Happened:
- Hongisto's second goal in as many games gave PSU the lead in the 11th minute when he scored off a deflection from the right side.
- The Panthers maintained the slight advantage until the 70th minute when Monteiro converted a penalty kick following a PSU foul in front of the net.
- Montiero struck again in the 81st minute, finishing from ten yards out following a breakaway on the right side.
- Montiero completed the hat trick three minutes later when he headed in a corner kick off the foot of sophomore Rony Morales (Seekonk, Mass.) to account for the final score.
Inside the Numbers:
- After being held scoreless through the Panthers' first four games, Hongisto has now found the back of the net in back-to-back contests.
- UMD held a 17-12 advantage in shots and an 8-4 edge in corner kicks.
- Junior Linus Lindeberg (Stockholm, Sweden) made seven saves but dropped to 1-3-1 on the year, while sophomore Jake Castro (Swansea, Mass.) picked up nine saves for the hosts.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"I'm disappointed that after playing so well for 70 minutes and creating some great chances that we were not able to hold out for the win," said head coach Rob Wright. "Hopefully the guys will take some positives from the performance and understand how difficult it is to win conference games on the road."
- Plymouth State hosts Southern Maine in another LEC contest on Wednesday (Oct. 2) at 3:30 p.m.
**With contributions from UMass Dartmouth Sports Information**
– 30 –