Panthers recognize five on Senior Day
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Plymouth State University dropped a non-conference men's soccer matchup against opponent Fitchburg State University, 3-2, on Senior Day Tuesday afternoon at Arold Field.
The Falcons took a 2-1 lead going into halftime. Although the Panthers were able to even the score in the 56th minute, Fitchburg State earned the win with a goal in the 61st minute.
Prior to the game Plymouth State honored the program's five seniors; Cam Bunn (Melbourne, Australia), Joni Hongisto (Kaarina, Finland), Jackie Gorton (Bristol, Vt.), Mauricio Acevedo (Nashua, N.H.) and Owen Caggiano (Sandwich, Mass.) in a brief on-field ceremony.
With the setback PSU drops to 1-9-3, while Fitchburg State improves to 6-7-2.
Plymouth State 2, Fitchburg State 3
Plymouth State (1-9-3)
Fitchburg State (6-7-2)
How it Happened:
- Fitchburg State started the scoring in the 12th minute. Freshman Alexander Loyd (Kingston, Mass.) had the ball just outside the right side of the box, then crossed it in front of the Panther keeper where freshman Sebastian Pina (Somerville, Mass.) fired the shot.
- In the 32nd minute the Panthers were able to even the score. Sophomore Teddy McLaughlin (Wakefield, R.I.) stole the ball on the left side of the box, dribbled toward the end line, then sent a cross to Acevedo, who headed it into the back of the net.
- The Falcons regained the lead in the 40th minute when freshman Joshua Atemkeng (Peabody, Mass.) took a shot from the top of the box.
- Plymouth State came back to even the score again, when sophomore Filip Johansson (Lulea, Sweden) scored in the 56th minute. Johansson got the ball at midfield, then passed to Bunn. Bunn sent the ball to freshman Evan Dodier (Dover, N.H.), who heel flicked it back to Johansson, whose shot found the back of the net.
- The Falcons took the lead for good in the 60th minute when Loyd finished a feed from sophomore Raphael Coelho (Framingham, Mass.) off a free kick from the left side of the box.
Inside the Numbers:
- Both teams fired ten shots in total, while PSU held a 4-3 advantage in shots on goal.
- Caggiano recorded four saves for the Panthers in the defeat, dropping to 0-2-0, while freshman Collin Robson (North Billerica, Mass.) made three saves to collect his first career win (1-0-0).
- Plymouth State held a 10-3 edge in corner kicks.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"We had to get at them a little higher up the field," associate head coach Parker Spear stated after the game. When asked about the Panther senior class, Spear added, "Any time guys are here for four years, just putting in the work day in and day out, it's great. It was great for Mauricio to score a goal for Senior Day today."
- Plymouth State will travel to Castleton on Saturday (Oct. 26) for a 1:00 p.m. Little East Conference game.
|PSU seniors with coaches and family on Senior Day|
– 30 –