Gray sets new standard in weight throw
BOSTON, Mass. – Sophomore Tim Gray (Derby, Vt.) posted a new school record in the weight throw as the Plymouth State University men's indoor track & field team competed at the University of Massachusetts Boston Indoor Open at the Reggie Lewis Center on Saturday afternoon.
The competition was a non-scoring event featuring athletes from NCAA Division I, II and III.
UMass Boston Indoor Open – No Team Scoring
How it Happened:
* Gray wasted little time setting the new PSU standard on his first attempt. His throw of 13.49 meters eclipsed the previous mark by nearly 1.50 meters.
* Freshman Jacob Rigoli (Essex, Vt.) finished 17th in the weight throw after a toss of 12.28 meters on his final attempt.
* Junior Leo Shattuck (Grafton, Mass.) kicked off the meet with a personal record in the long jump, clearing 6.38 meters. Senior Evan Dolecki (New Hartford, Conn.) was right behind with a leap of 6.28 meters in his season debut.
* Dolecki also took fifth in the triple jump with a leap of 12.90 meters.
* Freshman Sam Pinto-Pannella (Land O' Lakes, Fla.) debuted with a top-20 finish in the shot put, reaching 12.19 meters. Gray finished 25th with a throw of 12.16 meters, with junior Ted Proctor (Marlborough, N.H.) right behind in 27th after a toss of 11.67 meters.
* Sophomore Joey Baylus (Loudon, N.H.) qualified fourth in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.86 seconds, then finished sixth in the finals with a time of 8.85 seconds.
* Junior Chenet Guerrier (Burlington, Mass.) also had a good day for the Panthers. He set a personal record with a time of 24.16 in the 200-meter dash, and was within striking distance of a PR in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.46 seconds.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Tim [Gray] set a great tone for a young and hungry throwers corps today," said head coach John Ostler. "That group will be a strength of our team this year and he's going to lead us. We showed some nice depth in other events too. We held up well against a lot of D-II competition and we're excited to take that momentum into the home meet next week."
* Plymouth State hosts the PSU Winter Classic next Saturday (Dec. 8) to close out the fall semester schedule. The first events begin at 10:00 a.m.
– 30 –