Bartlett, Brunnette, Lewis all event winners
MEDFORD, Mass. – Seniors Warren Bartlett (Loudon, N.H.) and Sam Brunnette (Newport Center, Vt.) and sophomore Terrell Lewis (Nashua, N.H.) all won events to lead the Plymouth State University men's indoor track and field team to a eighth place finish at the Branwen Smith-King Invitational hosted by Tufts University at the Gantcher Center on Saturday.
Bartlett captured the 1000-meter run, while Brunnette ran the third fastest in the country to win the 3000-meter run. Lewis won the heptathlon with the 12th highest point total in the nation to date.
PSU earned 43 team points to finish in eighth place, tops among Little East Conference schools in attendance. Host Tufts earned the team title with 121 points.
Branwen Smith-King Invitational – 8th of 19 Teams
How it Happened:
* Brunnette set a meet record on his way to the 3000-meter crown, posting a time of 8:25.80. His converted time of 8:19.99 is the third fastest time posted this season.
* Lewis, who entered the day second in the heptathlon by 186 points, opened day two with a win in the 60-meter hurdles finishing in 8.75 seconds. He ended up seventh in the pole vault after clearing 3.10 meters, but rebounded with a fourth place finish in the 1000-meter run in 2:51.55 to leapfrog the competition. His 4,490 points put him 94 points ahead of the second place finisher, and is the 12th highest point total in the nation.
* Bartlett was in prime form as he cruised to the win in the 1000-meter run. His time of 2:32.07 was nearly three full seconds better than his closest competition.
* Freshman Marcus Roper (Cornish, N.H.) set a new PR in the shot put after reaching 14.13 meters on his final toss to finish seventh.
* Junior Nate Belanger (Newmarket, N.H.) and freshman Ben Platt (Manchester, N.H.) both posted season best times in the 600-meter run. Belanger finished in seventh with a time of 1:27.25, with Platt just two spots behind in 1:29.66.
* Sophomore Tim Gray (Derby, Vt.) reached 13.74 meters in the weight throw to take 12th.
* Senior Isaiah Bolden (Dover, N.H.) qualified 19th in the 60-meter dash in 7.42 seconds, but turned on the jets in the semifinals with a season best time of 7.27 to finish 11th.
* Dolecki also earned an eighth place finish in the triple jump after a leap of 12.58 meters.
* The Panthers' 4x800-meter relay team of junior Noah Byington (Hanscom AFB, Mass.), Belanger, Platt and Bartlett placed third with a time of 8:22.51
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Our stars shined today," said head coach John Ostler. "Warren [Bartlett], Terrell [Lewis] and Sam [Brunnette] performed like the national caliber athletes they are. They're starting to feel ready to hit some NCAA qualifying marks and they're raising their games to take advantage of opportunities. Isaiah [Bolden] showed a spark in the 60m today, which we'll need to build on next week and beyond."
* Plymouth State hosts the Panther Invitational next Saturday (Feb. 2) at the Bank of New Hampshire Field House at ALLWell North.
– 30 –