Panthers' throwers impress in season debut
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Jacob Rigoli (Essex, Vt.) set a new school record in the weight throw to lead the Plymouth State University men's indoor track and field team to a second place finish at the PSU Winter Classic at the Bank of New Hampshire Field House at ALLWell North on Saturday.
Making their season debut, the Panthers' throwing corps posted an impressive day after notching the top five places in the weight throw, while also taking second and third in the shot put.
PSU amassed 194 points to trail only NCAA Division II Franklin Pierce on the day.
PSU Winter Classic – 2nd of Five Teams
How it Happened:
- Plymouth State dominated the weight throw, claiming the top five distances. Rigoli set the new record after a toss of 15.56 meters, while also taking second in the shot put with a toss of 13.47 meters.
- Junior Ryan Latorella (Loudon, N.H.), sophomores Dillon Buttner (East Randolph, Vt.) and Marcus Roper (Cornish, N.H.) and senior Ted Proctor (Marlborough, N.H.) all clearing more than 11.50 meters in the weight throw to finish second through fifth.
- Freshman Jonathan Thorn (Northwood, N.H.) took third in the shot put after reaching 13.33 meters on his third throw.
- Junior Noah Williams (Rochester, N.H.) was the top D-III finisher and second place overall in the long jump after clearing 6.04 meters.
- Freshman Mikey Baker (Westford, Vt.) led the field in the pole vault after clearing 4.00 meters, while classmate Owen Billin (Meredith, N.H.) took second in the triple jump with a leap of 12.45 meters.
- PSU's contingent in the 400 meter dash fared well, securing second, third, fourth and fifth. Senior Chenet Guerrier (Burlington, Mass.) was the Panthers' top finisher in 53.85, while classmate Nate Belanger (Hanscom AFB, Mass.) and sophomores CJ Miller (Branford, Conn.) and Owen Wilcox (Eastham, Mass.) posted times of 56.00 and 56.24, respectively.
- Sophomore Matt Lyle (Loudon, N.H.) took second in the mile run, finishing in 4:54.22, just ahead of classmate Kyle Mau (Dover, N.H.).
- PSU's 4x400 meter relay took first place as Miller, Wilcox, Belanger and senior Leo Shattuck (Grafton, Mass.) finished in 3:39.72
- Plymouth State will take some time off for final exams and the winter recess before returning to action at the Middlebury Winter Classic on Jan. 11.
– 30 –