Baker, Lewis, 4x800 relay teams all winners
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Freshman Mikey Baker (Westford, Vt.), junior Terrell Lewis (Nashua, N.H.) and the Plymouth State University 4x800 meter relay team all won events as the Panthers finished second at the Middlebury Winter Classic on Saturday.
Baker won the pole vault and Lewis captured the long jump, while the Panthers' relay team won by nearly 30 seconds.
Competing for the first time since Dec. 7, PSU totaled 129 points to finish second overall and first among NCAA Division III competition. D-II Franklin Pierce scored 147.5 points to win the meet.
Middlebury Winter Classic – 2nd of Six Teams
How it Happened:
- Baker reached 4.15 meters in the pole vault to win the event, while Lewis soared past the competition after covering 6.67 meters in the long jump.
- Freshmen Michael Olson (Sutton, Mass.) and Brent Coope (Wolfeboro, N.H.) teamed up with sophomore Matt Lyle (Loudon, N.H.) and senior Noah Byington (Hanscom AFB, Mass.) to win the 4x800 meter relay in 8:42.18.
- Olson also earned a fourth place finish in the mile run after posting a time of 4:36.11.
- Sophomores Marcus Roper (Cornish, N.H.) and Jacob Rigoli (Essex, Vt.) led the throwing corps with second place finishes in the shot put and weight throw. Roper reached 13.68 meters in the shot put, while Rigoli's heave in the weight throw covered 14.95 meters.
- Freshman Ian Griffiths took second in the 60 meter dash with a time of 7.31 and senior Nate Belanger (Newmarket, N.H.) was the second place finisher in the 500 meter run after posting a 1:09.71.
- Freshmen Michael Barrett (Hartford, Conn.) and Colin Moar (Annandale, Va.) went three-four in the 1000 meter run with times of 2:49.97 and 2:50.02.
- The Panthers head to Smith College for the Mary Grinaker Invitational next Saturday (Jan. 18).
– 30 –