Rigoli continues assault on record books
GORHAM, Maine – Sophomore Jacob Rigoli (Essex, Vt.) continued to rewrite the Plymouth State University men's indoor track & field record books on Saturday, helping to lead the Panthers to a third-place finish at the USM Invitational II at the Costello Sports Complex.
Rigoli became the first PSU thrower to top 17 meters in the weight throw, while freshman Mikey Baker (Westford, Vt.) matched the program mark in the pole vault.
Junior Terrell Lewis (Nashua, N.H.) also had a strong day, moving up the national rankings in the 60-meter hurdles.
Plymouth State accumulated 106 points to finish third, trailing only Southern Maine (140) and NCAA Division I Merrimack College (110), but ahead of D-II schools Stonehill and Assumption College
USM Invitational II – 3rd of Ten Teams
How it Happened:
- Rigoli eclipsed the 17-meter mark with his final throw (17.01), resetting his own school record and equaling the 19th best throw in the nation to date to top the field.
- Baker finished second in the pole vault after matching the program best mark of 4.40 meters, a feat that ranks 37th nationally.
- Lewis was the top qualifier in the 55m hurdles, then won the finals with a time of 7.60. When converted to a 60m time, it vaulted him up to ninth in the country. He added a second-place finish in the long jump after covering 6.33 meters.
- Senior Noah Byington (Hanscom AFB, Mass.) and sophomore Matt Lyle (Loudon, N.H.) went one-two in the 1000-meter run. Byington finished in 2:39.64, with Lyle just behind him in 2:41.83.
- Freshman Ian Griffiths (Bedford, Mass.) qualified for the finals of the 55-meter dash before finishing fourth in 6.78, while classmate Owen Billin (Meredith, N.H.) posted the top PSU performance in the triple jump with a leap of 12.66 meters to finish sixth.
- Freshman Michael Olson (Sutton, Mass.) took second in the mile run after crossing the line in 4:34.21 and classmate Luke Gomes (Litchfield, N.H.) placed second in the 600-meter run with a time of 1:32.65.
- Freshman Michael Barrett (Hudson, N.H.), Brent Coope (Wolfeboro, N.H.) and Colin Moar (Annandale, Va.) joined forces with Lyle to finish third in the 4x800-meter relay in 8:37.92, while Lewis, Byington and Olson teamed up with senior Chenet Guerrier (Burlington, Mass.) in the 4x400-meter relay to finish third in 3:32.88.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"Our guys had a nice day," said head coach John Ostler. "It's always a great feeling to fight above our weight class and hang tough with some DI and DII teams. We keep getting great chunks of points from each discipline. Mikey [Baker] has been working hard to get over 14-feet [in the pole vault], so it was great to see him break through today."
- The Panthers will compete at the Branwen Smith-King Invitational at Tufts University next Saturday (Feb. 1).
– 30 –