Panthers defend home turf, win five events
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Plymouth State University men's indoor track & field athletes won five different events as the Panthers took home first place at the Panther Invitational at George Davis '63 Track in the Bank of New Hampshire Field House on Saturday.
Freshman Michael Olson (Sutton, Mass.) paced the field in the 800m run and mile run, junior Terrell Lewis (Nashua, N.H.) set the standard in the 60m hurdles, freshman Mikey Baker (Westford, Vt.) took first in the pole vault and classmate Owen Billin (Meredith, N.H.) outleapt the competition in the triple jump, while a number of other Panthers also had impressive performances.
Plymouth State accrued 150 points to top a competitive field which included NCAA Division II Franklin Pierce and Bridgewater State, which is ranked ninth in New England.
Prior to the meet Plymouth State honored its senior class in a brief Senior Day ceremony.
Panther Invitational – 1st of 11 Teams
How it Happened:
- Olson topped the field in the 800m run, finishing in 2:03.09 to win by nearly four full seconds. Classmate Colin Moar (Annandale, Va.) took second in 2:07.01.
- Olson was also the top finisher in the mile run in impressive fashion. His 4:35.64 was 3.45 seconds faster than the next closest competition.
- Lewis set a new school record in the 200m dash, crossing the line in 23.50 to place second. He also won the 60m hurdles preliminaries and finals, posting an 8.32, and led a strong PSU contingent in the long jump with a second-place leap of 6.50 meters.
- Baker topped the field in the pole vault after clearing 4.00 meters.
- Billin and senior Leo Shattuck (Grafton, Mass.) finished one-two in the triple jump. Billin took the top spot after covering 12.91 meters, with Shattuck second with a jump of 12.23 meters.
- Junior Noah Williams (Rochester, N.H.) qualified for the finals of the 60m dash, where he finished seventh in 7.43. He also finished fifth in the long jump (6.22 meters), just ahead of Shattuck, who ended up seventh with a leap of 5.98 meters.
- Sophomore Marcus Roper (Essex, Vt.) had another strong day after second place finishes in the shot put (13.71 meters) and weight throw (16.58 meters). Junior Ryan Latorella (Loudon, N.H.) and senior Ted Proctor (Marlborough, N.H.) finished fifth and sixth after throws of 13.83 and 13.55 meters, respectively.
- Freshman Brent Coope (Wolfeboro, N.H.) took fourth in the 600m run in 1:31.21, while sophomore CJ Miller (Branford, Conn.) earned a sixth-place finish in the 400m dash with a time of 54.89.
- Senior Chenet Guerrier (Burlington, Mass.) Williams, Miller and sophomore Owen Wilcox (Eastham, Mass.) teamed up for a third-place finish in the 4x200m relay with a time of 1:36.81.
- Seniors Zach Bassett (Pascoag, R.I.), Noah Byington (Hanscom AFB, Mass.), Chenet Guerrier (Burlington, Mass.), Ted Proctor (Marlborough, N.H.), Leo Shattuck (Grafton, Mass.) and Hunter Zabkar (Dover, N.H.) were all recognized during the Senior Day celebration.
- The Panthers head to Boston University next weekend for the David Hemery Valentine Invitational.
|Plymouth State indoor track & field seniors with their families and coaches|
– 30 –