Rigoli, Lewis, 4x800-meter relay win titles for Panthers
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Junior Terrell Lewis (Nashua, N.H.) and sophomore Jacob Rigoli (Essex, Vt.) won individual championships and the 4x800-meter relay team also placed first to lead the Plymouth State University men's indoor track & field team to a third place finish at the Little East Conference (LEC) Championship at the University of Southern Maine on Saturday.
Lewis established a new championship record in the 55-meter hurdles to win his third title, while Rigoli claimed his first championship by more than two meters in the weight throw. PSU's 4x800-meter relay paced the field with a solid win, while the 4x200-meter relay squad set a new school record.
Plymouth State accumulated 83 points to take third behind UMass Dartmouth (162) and Southern Maine (131).
Little East Conference Championship – 3rd of 8 Teams
How it Happened:
- Lewis continued his outstanding season in the hurdles by establishing a new championship meet record (7.60) to claim the title and match a personal best time. He added a seventh-place finish in the long jump after covering 6.21 meters.
- Rigoli easily topped the field in the weight throw to capture his first conference title. He cleared 16.78 meters to top the field by 2.16 meters.
- Freshmen Michael Barrett (Hartford, Conn.), Brent Coope (Wolfeboro, N.H.) and Colin Moar (Annandale, Va.) and sophomore Kyle Mau (Dover, N.H.) joined forces to claim the 4x800-meter relay crown after crossing the line in 8:21.80.
- Freshman Michael Olson (Sutton, Mass.) placed second in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:01.32, while classmate Luke Gomes (Litchfield, N.H.) took third in the 1000-meter run in 2:41.06.
- Sophomore CJ Miller (Branford, Conn.), senior Chenet Guerrier (Burlington, Mass.), junior Noah Williams (Rochester, N.H.) and Lewis teamed up to set a new standard in the 4x200-meter relay. The quartet finished third in 1:34.49.
- Freshman Mikey Baker (Westford, Vt.) took second in the pole vault after topping 4.15 meters in the pole vault, while sophomore Marcus Roper (Cornish, N.H.) placed third in the shot put after a toss of 13.45 meters.
- All four PSU entrants in the mile run – senior Noah Byington (Hanscom AFB, Mass.), Olson, Barrett and sophomore Randall Scroggins (Rumney, N.H.) – set personal records in the mile run. Byington and Olson led the foursome with both finishing in 4:27.21.
- The Panthers' 4x400-meter relay team of Guerrier, sophomore Owen Wilcox (Eastham, Mass.), Olson and Lewis took third in 3:30.75.
- Williams was seeded 11th in the 55-meter dash but moved all the way up to fifth in the finals with a time of 6.80.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"Our guys did a great job rebounding from a couple of rocky early events," said head coach John Ostler. "Our guys didn't lose focus as first and second were slipping away and that's why we came out on top of a very good Eastern Connecticut team. Hats off to Jacob [Rigoli] on his first LEC title. Our scrappy, young 4x800 relay team showed great maturity to get their first conference title too."
- PSU heads to Springfield College for the NCAA Division III New England Regional Championship next weekend, with events taking place both Friday (Feb. 28) and Saturday (Feb. 29).
|Lewis - 55m Hurdles Champion||Barrett, Coope, Mau, Moar (L-R) - 4x800m Relay Champions||Rigoli - Weight Throw Champion|
– 30 –