Multiple freshmen turn in strong performances in collegiate debuts
BOSTON, Mass. – The Plymouth State University men's track & field team opened the 2016-17 indoor season Saturday at the fifth annual University of Massachusetts-Boston Indoor Open at the Reggie Lewis Center.
The event was a non-scoring, qualifying meet featuring more than 20 teams for all three NCAA divisions.
PSU's squad performed especially well in the sprint events. The Panthers captured top-ten finishes in four individual sprinting events and the 4x400 meter relay.
Reggie Lewis Center, Boston, Mass. – Saturday, Dec. 3, 2016
No Team Scoring
* Sophomore Isaiah Bolden (Dover, N.H.) picked up where he left off last year, turning in near personal best performances in the 60 meter dash and 60 meter high hurdles.
* Bolden crossed the line in sixth place in the hurdles with a time of 8.97 seconds. That also earns him entry into the New England Division III Championships in February.
* Bolden finished ninth in the 60 meter dash.
* Freshmen Robert Mills (Plymouth, N.H.) and Eric Rosario (Methuen, Mass.) turned in strong collegiate debuts. Mills accounted for PSU's highest finishes of the day placing fifth in the 400 meter dash with a time of 51.97 seconds.
* Rosario clocked a 1:08.58 one event later in the 500 meter dash to finish in sixth.
* PSU achieved one top-ten finish in the field events. Freshman Derek Davies (Londonderry, N.H.) was the top freshman finisher in the pole vault. Davies cleared 3.80 meters on his final attempt before bowing out at the next height. He finished as the sixth best vaulter of the day.
* Plymouth State hosts the PSU Winter Classic on Friday, Dec. 9 (1:00 p.m.) at the George Davis Track. The meet will include PSU, Colby-Sawyer College, Franklin Pierce University, Fitchburg State University and Keene State College.
-- 30 --