Brunnette, Bartlett, Rosario post top performances for Panthers
MEDFORD, Mass. – The Plymouth State University men's track & field team turned in several strong performances Saturday at the annual Tufts Stampede held at the Gantcher Center, a non-scoring meet featuring several dozen schools.
Sophomores Sam Brunnette (Newport, Vt.) and Warren Bartlett (Loudon, N.H.) and freshman Eric Rosario (Methuen, Mass.) led the Panthers, each posting marks that meet the New England Division III qualifying standards. Brunnette excelled in the 3000 meter run, while Bartlett was outstanding in the 1000 meters and Rosario in the 600 meters.
NCAA Division III Men's Track & Field
Tufts Stampede, at The Gantcher Center, Medford, Mass. – Saturday, Jan. 28, 2017
Team Scores: No Team Scoring
* Brunnette took fifth place in a highly competitive 3000 meter race, which included five of the nation's top 11 times this season. Brunnette finished in a time of 8:31.68, which is the fastest time in the Little East Conference this season, the 11th-fastest time in the nation this year, and the second-best among sophomores. Tufts senior Tim Nichols won the race in 8:21.51, ahead of runner-up Matthew Deyo of MIT (8:23.36).
* Bartlett finished runner-up in the 1000 meters in a time of 2:32.66, just getting edged by the winner, sophomore Colin Raposo of Tufts, who ran a 2:32.10. Bartlett's time is the fastest by a Little East Conference runner in the 1000 this season, and less than a second off his PSU record set last season.
* Rosario captured sixth place in the 600 meters in a school-record time of 1:24.95 in his first attempt at that distance this season. His mark is the fifth-fastest time in the Little East Conference this season.
* PSU had two top-10 finishers in the 60 meter hurdles, as sophomore Isaiah Bolden (Dover, N.H.) was sixth in a time of 9.09 seconds (he ran an 8.99 in the prelims), and freshman Zach Bassett (Pascoag, R.I.) was ninth in a time of 9.30 seconds.
* Plymouth State's 4x400 relay team finished fifth out of 11 schools, as the contingent of sophomores Kyle Saunders (Hudson, N.H.) and Bartlett and freshmen Nate Belanger (Newmarket, N.H.) and Noah Byington (Hanscomb AFB, Mass.) ran the race in 3:34.70.
* Senior Sam Webber (Derry, N.H.) led the Panther field event athletes, placing 10th in the high jump with a leap of 1.73 meters (5'8").
* The Panthers return to the track next Saturday, Feb. 4, at the Dartmouth College Indoor Classic, beginning at 10:00 a.m. in Hanover, N.H.
-- 30 --