Brunnette tops Panthers with strong finish in the mile run
MEDFORD, Mass. – Sophomore Sam Brunnette (Newport, Vt.) posted the top finish for Plymouth State University Saturday at the New England Division III Men's Indoor Track & Field Championships, hosted by Tufts University at the Gantcher Center.
Brunnette placed fifth in the men's mile run, covering the distance in a time of 4:17.84, just six one-hundredths of a second off the time he posted a week ago at the New England Championships and six-tenths of a second behind fourth place. Middlebury College runners took the top two places in times of 4:14.34 and 4:14.36.
Host Tufts won its fifth New England Division III Indoor Championship and its first since 2008. PSU finished 24th in the team standings.
NCAA Division III Men's Indoor Track & Field
New England Division III Indoor Championships, at Tufts Univ., Medford, Mass.
Saturday, Feb. 18, 2017
PSU – 24th place (4 points)
MORE PSU HIGHLIGHTS
* Sophomore Warren Bartlett (Loudon, N.H.) also ran the mile for PSU, but had his heel stepped on and lost his shoe early on in the race. He finished 14th overall in a time of 4:42.45, some 25 seconds slower than his seed time.
* Two Panthers placed 12th in their respective events. Sophomore Isaiah Bolden (Dover, N.H.) was 12th in the 60 meter dash in a season-best time of 7.17 seconds, and freshman Eric Rosario (Methuen, Mass.) was 12th in the 600 meters in 1:24.10.
* Freshman Derek Davies (Londonderry, N.H.) was PSU's top representative in field events. He placed 14th in the pole vault with a mark of 3.95 meters (12'11.5").
* PSU's top relay performance came in the 4x400 meters, with senior Rob Mills (Plymouth, N.H.), junior Brendan Polichronopoulos (Penacook, N.H.), Davies and Rosario placing 11th in a season-best time of 3:29.64.
* The Panthers contingent of sophomore Kyle Saunders (Hudson, N.H.), Brunnette, and freshmen Noah Byington (Hanscomb AFB, Mass.) and Trevor Campbell (Coventry, R.I.) finished 16th in the 4x800 relay in a time of 8:28.16.
* The Panthers will send a select group of athletes back to Tufts on Saturday, March 4, for the Last Chance Qualifier.
-- 30 --