Bartlett, Rosario, Brunnette provide highlights for Panthers
FITCHBURG, Mass. – The Plymouth State University men's track & field team took fourth place out of 23 teams Saturday afternoon at Fitchburg State University's Eric Loeschner Memorial Meet at Elliott Field.
Worcester State University captured the team title with 170.5 points, while the University of Southern Maine was runner-up with 96 points. Host Fitchburg State took third with 77 points, just ahead of PSU (76.5), with Colby-Sawyer (68.5) rounding out the top five.
The Panthers were led by three student-athletes who were the top finishers in their event, posting New England Division III Championships qualifying marks – sophomores Warren Bartlett (Loudon, N.H.) and Sam Brunnette (Newport, Vt.) and freshman Eric Rosario (Methuen, Mass.)
NCAA Men's Track & Field
Fitchburg State/Eric Loeschner Inv. Fitchburg, Mass. – Saturday, Apr. 15, 2017
Top 10 Team Scores: Worcester State 170.5; Southern Maine 96; Fitchburg State 77; Plymouth State 76.5; Colby-Sawyer 68.5; Boston-North 44; UMaine Farmington 33.5; Roxbury CC 28; Castleton 19.5; CC of Rhode Island 14
* Bartlett finished third overall in the 800 meter run, but was the top collegiate runner in a time of 1:56.49. His time meets the New England Division III qualifying time, and ranks as the 19th-fastest time in New England this spring.
* Brunnette captured first place in the 3000 meter steeplechase, finishing in a New England qualifying time of 9:52.89. His performance is the 14th-best time in New England this spring.
* Rosario was the first-place finisher in the 400 meters, running the race in a New England qualifying time of 50.05 seconds, which ranks as the 18th-fastest time in New England this spring.
* Other top PSU individual track performances featured freshman Zach Bassett (Pascoag, R.I.), who took third place in the 110 meter high hurdles in 16.77 seconds; senior Rob Mills (Plymouth, N.H.), who placed fourth in the 400 meters in 51.56 seconds; freshman Noah Byington (Hanscomb AFB, Mass.), who placed fifth in the 1500 meters in 4:16.01; and sophomore Kyle Saunders (Hudson, N.H.) took 10th in the 800 meters in a Little East Conference Championships qualifying mark of 2:02.36.
* Top field event performances by the Panthers include freshman Derek Davies (Londonderry, N.H.), who placed third in the pole vault (3.95 meters/12'11.5"), and junior Dean Squires (Derry, N.H.), who was fifth in the javelin (48.01 meters/157'6").
* PSU's top relay performance came in the 4x800 meters, as the Panther team of Bartlett, Brunnette, Saunders and Byington finishing in first place among five teams in a time of 8:23.37. That performance ranks as the eighth-fastest time in New England this spring.
* The Panthers have their final meet before the Little East Conference Championships next Saturday (Apr. 22) at the MIT Sean Collier Invitational, beginning at 10:30 a.m.
-- 30 --