Bartlett, Bassett post top perfomances for Panthers
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – The Plymouth State University men's track & field team made some final tune-ups for the outdoor championship season Satuday afternoon with some strong peformances at the MIT Sean Collier Invitational at the Morrison Track. The meet was a non-scoring event with numerous teams from all three NCAA Divisions.
Sophomore Warren Bartlett (Loudon, N.H.) posted the top performance for the Panthers, outrunning 41 other competitors to win the 1500 meters in a school-ecord time of 3:58.16. His time meets the New England Division III Championships qualifying time and ranks as the 13th-fastest time in New England this season and the top time among Little East Conference runners. He broke his own school standard of 4:01.58 set at the same meet last spring.
NCAA Men's Track & Field
Sean Collier Invitational, at MIT, Morrison Track, Cambridge, Mass. – Saturday, Apr. 22, 2017
Team Scores: No Team Scoring
* Freshman Zach Bassett (Pascoag, R.I.) also reached the New England Division III qualifying standard in the 110 meter high hurdles, placing fifth in a time of 16.48 seconds. Sophomore Isaiah Bolden (Dover, N.H.), who had previously qualified for New Englands, took third in the event on Saturday in 16.40 seconds.
* Sophomore Sam Brunnette (Newport, Vt.) also ran well in the 1500 meters, finishing fourth in a time of 4:04.99. It was his first collegiate race at the 1500 meter distance.
* Freshman Eric Rosario (Methuen, Mass.) took fouth place in the 400 meters in a time of 51.21 seconds, slower than the 50.05 time he ran a week earlier.
* PSU's 4x100 relay team finished in third place in a season-best time of 44.01 seconds. The 4x400 meter relay team took first place in a time of 3:32.61.
* Freshman Derek Davies (Londonderry, N.H.) was PSU's top finisher in field events, placing third in the pole vault (4.32 meters/14'2"). Junior Dean Squires (Derry, N.H.) was fourth in the javelin (44.42 meters/145'9"), and freshman Alex Van Vliet (Saybrook, Conn.) and Leo Shattuck (Grafton, Mass.) were fourth and sixth in the triple jump (12.12m/39'9.25" and 11.80m/38'8.75", respectively).
* The Panthers will compete in the Little East Conference Championships and New England Alliance Championships next Saturday (Apr. 29) at Westfield State University, beginning at 11:00 a.m. PSU placed seventh in the Little East and 11th in the Alliance scoring at last year's championships.
-- 30 --