Lewis posts three top-five finishes to lead Panthers
HOOKSETT, N.H. – Sophomore Terrell Lewis (Nashua, N.H.) was a top-five finisher in all three of his events to lead the Plymouth State University men's outdoor track & field team to a sixth place finish at the Penmen Relays hosted by Southern New Hampshire University at Penmen Stadium on Saturday.
Lewis finished second in the 110m hurdles and high jump, while also placing fifth in the long jump. The Panthers' 4x100m relay team of junior Zach Bassett (Pascoag, R.I.), freshman Tucker Gosselin (Sanbornville, N.H.), junior Chenet Guerrier (Burlington, Mass.) and freshman Noah Couitt (Swansea, Mass.) finished fourth, just off school record pace, while freshman Marcus Roper (Cornish, N.H.) took fourth in the discus.
Plymouth State scored 43 team points to finish sixth and fourth among NCAA Division III competition. Eastern Connecticut State University finished first with 86 points.
Penmen Relays – Sixth of 23 Teams
How it Happened:
* Lewis finished first in his heat to qualify for the 110m hurdle finals. His finals time of 15.08 seconds was good enough for second. He added a second place finish in the high jump after clearing 1.88 meters and finished fifth in the long jump after covering 6.36 meters.
* PSU's 4x100m relay team joined forces to cross the line in 44.23 seconds, just 0.22 seconds off school-record pace.
* Roper continued his strong rookie campaign with a fourth place finish in the discus throw after a toss of 39.71 meters. He added a throw of 13.60 meters in the shot put to finish eighth, one spot behind classmate Zach Wallace (Wayne, Maine), who reached 13.75 meters. Both reached the qualifying mark for NCAA Division III New England Championships.
* Bassett finished seventh in the 400m hurdles with a time of 1:00.15.
* Junior Leo Shattuck (Grafton, Mass.) earned an eighth place finish in the triple jump after a leap of 12.54 meters, while sophomore Jared Wolf (Tyngsborough, Mass.) took eighth in the 5000m run in 16:51.43.
* Freshman Jacob Rigoli (Essex, Vt.) followed his strong performance from last week with a ninth place finish in the hammer throw with a toss of 42.70 meters.
* Junior Nate Belanger (Newmarket, N.H.) was 12th in the 800m run with a time of 2:01.08, while Guerrier was the top Panther finisher in the 400m dash, ending up 15th with a time of 52.82 seconds.
* The duo joined up with Shattuck and freshman Ben Platt (Manchester, N.H.) to finish third in the 4x400m relay, crossing the line in 3:30.62.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Terrell [Lewis] is getting his rhythm after a slow start to outdoor," said head coach John Ostler. "He had his best series of his career in long jump and he's about to have a nice drop in the hurdles in the next couple of weeks. Chenet [Guerrier] put together a nice triple today. He's really grown into the leader of that sprint group. Zach [Wallace] getting into New England's in the shot is a nice achievement for a freshman."
* PSU heads to Tufts next Saturday (Apr. 20) for the Sunshine Classic.
– 30 –