Panthers solid in final tune up before LEC Championships
MEDFORD, Mass. – Senior Sam Brunnette (Newport Center, Vt.), junior Trevor Campbell (Coventry, R.I.), sophomore Tim Gray (Derby, Vt.) and freshman Jacob Rigoli (Essex, Vt.) each won individual events as the Plymouth State University men's outdoor track & field competed at the Sunshine Classic hosted by Tufts University on Saturday.
Brunnette was the top finisher in the 1500m run, while Campbell took first in the 3000m steeplechase. Gray reestablished a school record on the way to winning the hammer throw, and Rigoli paced the field in the discus throw, narrowly cracking a 40-year old record in the process.
Plymouth State amassed 109 points in a tightly packed field to finish fourth.
Sunshine Classic – Fourth of Five Teams
How it Happened:
* Gray overtook Rigoli for the school record in the hammer throw after a toss of 47.71 meters. Rigoli's previous school mark had been 46.53 meters.
* Gray added a fourth place finish in the shot put (13.09 meters) and sixth place performance in the discus (37.22 meters).
* Not to be outdone, Rigoli won the discus with a throw of 41.77 meters, narrowly missing a 40-year old school record by just 0.10 meters. He added a fifth place finish in the hammer throw after reaching 43.07 meters.
* Brunnette won the 1500m run with a time of 4:07.50, while also placing fifth in the 400m hurdles after crossing the line in 1:03.44.
* Campbell and freshman Randall Scroggins (Rumney, N.H.) finished one-two in the 3000m steeplechase. Campbell finished in 11:34.17, with Scroggins posting a time of 12:35.58.
* The Panthers' 4x100m relay team of junior Zach Bassett (Pascoag, R.I.), freshman Tucker Gosselin (Sanbornville, N.H.), junior Chenet Guerrier (Burlington, Mass.) and freshman Noah Couitt (Swansea, Mass.) teamed up for a third place finish. The quartet posted a time of 44.76 seconds, within a second of school-record pace.
* Sophomore Terrell Lewis (Nashua, N.H.) took second in the 110m hurdles. His 14.87 was just 0.03 behind the school record. He also finished fifth in the long jump with a leap of 6.28 meters.
* Freshmen Marcus Roper (Cornish, N.H.) and Sam Pinto-Pannella (Land O' Lakes, Fla.) rounded out a strong day for the throwers after finishing third and fifth in the shot put. Roper cleared 13.78 meters, with Pinto-Pannella covering 13.03 meters.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"Our guys are hitting their stride at the right time of the season," said head coach John Ostler. "We're at a high-water mark for confidence and grit. It's been fun to watch Tim [Gray] and Jacob [Rigoli] trade the hammer record back and forth."
* Plymouth State heads to Fitchburg State University next Saturday (Apr. 27) for the Little East Conference Championship.
– 30 –