Brunnette, Lewis individual winners for Panthers
FITCHBURG, Mass. – Senior Sam Brunnette (Newport Center, Vt.) and sophomore Terrell Lewis (Nashua, N.H.) both won individual events to help lead the Plymouth State University men's outdoor track & field team to a fourth place finish at the Little East Conference (LEC) and New England Alliance (NEA) Championships hosted by Fitchburg State University on Saturday.
Brunnette captured a third straight LEC title in the 3,000m steeplechase, while Lewis successfully defended his LEC title in the 110m hurdles. Freshman Marcus Roper (Cornish, N.H.) highlighted a strong performance by the throwers after establishing a new program record in the shot put.
Plymouth State accumulated 83 points to finish fourth among LEC competition.
LEC Outdoor Track & Field Championships – 4th of 8 Teams
How it Happened:
* Brunnette capped off a brilliant LEC career with his third individual championship in the 3,000m steeplechase, crossing the line in 9:32.16. Between cross country, indoor and outdoor track Brunnette has amassed 19 LEC medals.
* Lewis became a two-time champion in the 110m hurdles. He held the top spot after running a 15.49 preliminary, then cruised in the finals with a time of 15.12.
* Lewis also took third in the long jump after a leap of 6.64 meters. Junior Leo Shattuck (Grafton, Mass.) was fifth with a distance of 6.10 meters.
* Roper set a new standard in the shot put after reaching 14.09 meters. He added a third place in the discus (38.55 meters)
* The Panthers' 4x800m relay team finished second as Brunnette teamed up with freshman Hunter Burns (Wilmot, N.H.) and juniors Noah Byington (Hanscom AFB, Mass.) and Nate Belanger (Newmarket, N.H.) to finish in 8:19.10.
* Byington also finished third in the 1500m run with a time of 4:13.51, while Belanger took fourth in the 800m run after posting a time of 2:02.51.
* Freshman Sam Pinto-Pannella (Land O' Lakes, Fla.) finished fourth in the shot put with a toss of 13.60 meters, while classmate Jacob Rigoli (Essex, Vt.) was second in the discus (39.86 meters) and seventh in the hammer throw (42.95 meters).
* Sophomore Tim Gray (Derby, Vt.) was the top PSU finisher in the hammer throw after edging out Rigoli with a heave of 44.15 meters.
Straight from the Coach's Mouth:
"I'm proud of our guys today," said head coach John Ostler. "They competed very well in cold and windy conditions. We met our expectations for points and placement based on the entries. Sam [Brunnette] capped off an incredible LEC career today. I'm sure the rest of the conference is ready to see him leave."
* Plymouth State will head to Williams College next weekend (May 3-4) for the NCAA Division III New England Regional Championship.
|Brunnette - 3000m steeplechase champion||Lewis - 110m hurdles champion|
– 30 –