Brunnette likely cements a spot at NCAAs
WILLIAMSTOWN, Mass. – Senior Sam Brunnette (Newport Center, Vt.) likely assured himself a spot at the upcoming NCAA Division III Outdoor Track & Field Championship after his performance at the Williams Final Qualifier Meet at Williams College on Wednesday night.
Brunnette entered the meet with the 26th fastest time in the nation in the 3000m steeplechase, knowing the top 20 times in the nation will be selected for the NCAA Championship later this month. His time of 9:07.01 gives him the 12th fastest time in the country and likely guarantees him a spot at outdoor nationals for a second straight year.
Sophomore Terrell Lewis (Nashua, N.H.) was also in action for the Panthers, looking to lock up a spot in the 110m hurdles. He entered the night with the 20th fastest time in the country (14.67), but was unable to improve his top time.
Williams Final Qualifier Meet – No Team Scoring
How it Happened:
* Brunnette faced the challenge of running in a tiny field, as just two other competitors joined him on at the starting line, and neither presented much of a challenge.
* He rose to the occasion, though, posting a season-best time of 9:07.01. His time currently ranks 12th in the nation and likely guarantees him a chance to attempt to repeat his All-America honors from a year ago.
* Lewis sits on the cusp of reaching the outdoor championships for his first time, though he hoped to move up in the national rankings. Both his preliminary time (14.76) and finals time (14.81) led the field, but did not shave any time off his season best of 14.67.
* He currently still ranks 20th in the country, though results from last chance meets around the country are still coming in.
Straight From the Coach's Mouth:
"Sam has run a lot of amazing races, but this one may stand alone," said head coach John Ostler. "To run 9:07 solo and with the pressure of a last chance meet was indescribable. It was run fast with little margin for error, or your career is over, and he stepped up big time!"
* Lewis will attempt to improve his national standing one more time at the MIT Final Qualifier on Thursday (May 16).
– 30 –