Kennard, Butler, Moylan lead Panthers in debut
CLERMONT, Fla. – The Plymouth State University softball season got off to a strong start Friday evening as the Panthers won their first two games played at the National Training Center. PSU downed Rutgers-Newark in the first game, 5-4, and came back with a 6-1 over MCLA triumph in game two.
The Panthers collected 13 hits in the opener, with five players getting two hits apiece. Freshman Nora Butler (Tewskbury, Mass.) cracked the team's first home run of the season, and senior Katie Kennard (Concord, N.H.) had an RBI double among her two hits.
Junior Allison Moylan (Methuen, Mass.) led the Panthers in the second game, pitching a complete-game six-hitter with three strikeouts. Kennard led the offense with two hits and four runs batted in, including a first-inning single and a second-inning three-run double that gave Moylan all the support she needed.
Plymouth starts the season 2-0 for the first time since 2009. Rutgers-Newark is now 5-5 and MCLA is 0-6.
NCAA Division III College Softball
at National Training Center, Clermont, Fla. – Friday, March 17, 2017
Plymouth State 5, Rutgers-Newark 4
Plymouth State 6, MCLA 1
Records: Plymouth State 2-0; Rutgers-Newark 5-5; MCLA 0-6
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* PSU took a 2-0 lead in the first inning, as junior Nina Murray (Saugus, Mass.) doubled and came around to score on a single by sophomore Lindsey Hall (Midlothian, Va.). Hall then scored on a single by junior Abrie Davis (Amherst, N.H.).
* After Rutgers-Newark plated an unearned run in the top of the third, PSU opened up a four-run lead with three runs in the bottom half of the inning. Kennard brought home Hall with an RBI double, and Butler belted a two-run homer.
* The Scarlet Raiders made a comeback attempt with a run in the fourth inning and two runs in the seventh, but PSU held off the rally, aided by Murray gunning down a runner at the plate on a throw from right field.
* Freshman Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) and Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) split pitching duties for the Panthers. Miller started and went four innings to earn the win (1-0), allowing two runs (one earned) on two hits and three walks, while Seidner worked the final three innings and gave up two unearned run on two hits and no walks, striking out one to earn her first save.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* Moylan scattered six hits and one walk over seven innings, striking out three.
* PSU again scored early, with two runs in the first inning and three in the second to open up a 5-0 margin. Kennard delivered an RBI single to start the scoring, and the Panthers added another run when junior Taylor Wood (Londonderry, N.H.) reached on an error.
* The Panthers loaded the bases to start the second inning when senior Emma Rhodes (Rochester, N.H.) walked, sophomore Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.) singled and Murray reached on an error. One out later, Kennard brought them all across with a three-run double.
* PSU loaded the bases with no outs again in the fifth inning, and Morrill brought home a run with a sacrifice bunt, scoring Wood, who had led off the inning with a walk.
* The Panthers will play doubleheaders each of the next three days, beginning Saturday against Tufts University (9:00 a.m.) and Westfield State University (11:30 a.m.)
-- 30 --