Bats are cold as Panthers blanked twice
LEESBURG, Fla. – The Plymouth State University softball team suffered a pair of losses Saturday on day two of the spring trip to the National Training Center. PSU fell to perennial powerhouse Tufts University in the first game, 4-0, and dropped the second contest to Westfield State University, 5-0.
Senior Cassie Ruscz cracked two home runs to lead Tufts in their season opener. PSU managed just two hits off Jumbo pitchers Raina Galbiati and Gillian O'Connor.
Westfield State sophomore pitcher Sarah Eugenio tossed seven scoreless innings to shut out Plymouth State in the final game of Westfield State's trip. The Panthers had six hits and two walks but left seven runners on base.
Plymouth evens its season record at 2-2, while Tufts ends the day at 1-1 and Westfield State ends its spring break trip at 4-6.
NCAA Division III College Softball
at National Training Center, Leesburg, Fla. – Saturday, March 18, 2017
Tufts 4, Plymouth State 0
Westfield State 5, Plymouth State 0
Records: Plymouth State 2-2; Tufts 1-1; Westfield State 4-6
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* PSU sophomore Kayla Mathieu (Fairfax, Vt.) went the distance in the pitching circle allowing five hits and four runs with no walks in seven innings.
* Ruscz homered in her first at bat of the season in the top of the first inning, scoring junior Samantha Siciliano who led off with a double. Ruscz was at it again in the third, clubbing a two-run shot to give Tufts a 4-0 advantage. Sophomore SS Christian Cain, who had hit a one-out single, scored in front of Ruscz.
* Galbiati did not allow a hit through four innings. PSU sophomore Mel Goss (Templeton, Mass.) opened the fifth with a single to spoil the no-hitter. After junior Taylor Wood (Londonderry, N.H.) reached by a fielder's choice that erased pinch runner Jen Landers (Berlin, N.H.), Wood later tried to score on a single by senior Rachel Morrissey (Salem, N.H.) and Jumbo RF Raven Fournier threw her out at the plate.
* Mathieu got Ruscz to ground out to short to end the fifth inning, but the Jumbo slugger finished 2 for 3 with four RBI and two runs.
* O'Connor made her collegiate debut for the Jumbos and was perfect in the sixth and seventh innings.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* Eugenio (3-0) allowed six hits, walked two and struck out two in winning her third game of the season.
* Westfield struck for two runs in the bottom of the first on back to back doubles by Bri Tortora and Liz Kelly, with Kelly driving home Tortora. Senior first baseman Julia Sullivan plated Kelly with an RBI single.
* The Owls tacked on three more runs in the fourth inning. Emma Dunbar singled with one out, and pinch runner Julia Hebert came around to score on Julia Sullivan's base hit. Kelly and Sullivan scored when Maddy Atkocaitis followed with a 2-run double to right field.
* Hebert stayed in the game in center field, and provided all three outs in the top of the fifth, including a sensational diving catch in left center for the second out of the inning to prevent extra bases.
* The Panthers will play more doubleheaders the next two days, starting with Sunday's games vs. Colby College (2:00 p.m.) and Bowdoin College (4:30 p.m.)
-- 30 --