Morrissey hits home run in victory
CLERMONT, Fla. – The Plymouth State University softball team were victorious in both games Wednesday on day five of the spring trip to the National Training Center, defeating Wesleyan University in the opener, 5-3, and Carleton College in the second game, 2-1.
The Panthers were led offensively in game one by senior Rachel Morrissey (Salem, N.H.) who hit a three-run homer in the top of the fourth to help Plymouth achieve the 5-3 victory.
Game two was a tight contest, as the Panther offense came off the bat of junior Abrie Davis (Amherst, N.H.) with her two-RBI single being the only runs that Plymouth State would score. Junior Allison Moylan (Methuen, Mass.) had a strong pitching performance to seal the victory.
Plymouth State finished the day improving their record to 6-4 on the season, while Wesleyan is now 5-6 and Carleton is 6-4.
NCAA Division III College Softball
at National Training Center, Clermont, Fla. – Wednesday, March 22, 2017
Plymouth State 5, Wesleyan 3
Plymouth State 2, Carleton 1
Records: Plymouth State 6-4; Wesleyan 5-6; Carleton 6-4
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Senior Katie Kennard (Concord, NH) went 3-for-4 with a double in the first inning.
* After sophomore Lindsey Hall (Midlothian, Va.) singled and freshman Nora Butler (Tewksbury, Mass.) drew a walk Morrissey smashed a three-run homer in the fourth inning to put the Panthers on top 5-0.
*Wesleyan's offense came in the bottom of the fifth when Izzy Linzer hit an RBI single and then later scored on a passed ball.
* Freshman Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) snagged the victory going 5.1 innings, giving up only two earned runs, improving her record to 3-0.
* Morrissey's home run is her first career homerun as a Plymouth State Panther
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* Carleton got its only run in the top of the third when Anna Lauko scored on a single by Katie Eppard.
* Plymouth State responded in the bottom of the third when Davis hit a single scoring junior Nina Murray (Saugus, Mass.) and Moylan.
* Moylan went a strong 6.1 innings giving up only one earned run to improve her record to 2-2
* Sophomore Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) faced the last two batters to pick up her second save.
* Carleton pitcher Sam Kile recorded her first loss this season falling to 4-1
* The Panthers will play two more games on Thursday, March 23 when they battle Babson College at 9:00 a.m., followed by Washington & Jefferson College at 11:30 a.m.
(by Weston Atwood, SID Student Assistant)
-- 30 --