Panther bats silenced by Viking pitchers
SALEM, Mass. – The Plymouth State University softball came out on the short end in both games of a softball doubleheader at Salem State University on Wednesday, dropping games by the scores of 4-2 and 5-1 at Alumni Field.
Meghan Black (Winchendon, Mass.) pitched a complete game to lead the Vikings to a 4-2 victory in game one. IIeish Burney (Bristol, Conn.) scattered four hits in game two as Salem State won 5-1 to improve to 10-4 on the year. The Panthers slide to 8-8.
NCAA Division III College Softball
at Alumni Field, Salem, Mass. – Wednesday, March 29, 2017
Salem State 4, Plymouth State 2
Salem State 5, Plymouth State 1
Records: Plymouth State 8-8; Salem State 10-4
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Plymouth State jumped on top in the first on an RBI groundout by Abrie Davis (Amherst, N.H.). The Vikings tied the game in the bottom of the inning on a run scoring groundout by Bobbie Dee Regan (Lynn, Mass.).
* Salem State plated single runs in the second and third innings before Rachel Morrissey (Salem, N.H) pulled the Panthers to within a run with a run scoring double. Gabryanna Cardenas (Oxford, Mass.) provided an insurance run in the sixth with a sacrifice fly as Black shutdown Plymouth State in the seventh despite giving up a leadoff single.
* Black went the distance to earn her sixth win of the season, allowing two runs (one earned) on eight hits with a strikeout.
* Freshman Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) suffered her first loss of the season (4-1) for Plymouth State going five innings and allowing three runs (all earned) on six hits with four strikeouts.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* Jen Crovo (Melrose, Mass.) led off the bottom of the first with a home run as Salem State scored three runs in the first inning. The Vikings added two more runs on a Chloe Manousos (Lowell, Mass.) double and later increased their lead with an RBI single by Manousos in the third inning.
* Burney shutdown the Panthers' offense as she held a shutout until the fifth inning before giving up an unearned run. Burney finished the day with a complete game effort, allowing just an unearned run on four hits with three strikeouts and a walk.
* Sophomore Kayla Nester (Fairfax, Vt.) had two of PSU's four hits, a lead-off triple in the third inning and a one-out double in the fifth which led to PSU's only run.
* Starter Allison Moylan (Methuen, Mass.) took the loss as she gave up five runs (two earned) on eight hits. Kayla Mathieu (Fairfax, Vt.) pitched 3.2 innings of scoreless relief for Plymouth State, giving up just a hit while recording a pair of strikeouts with two walks.
* Next on the schedule for PSU is the Little East Conference opener against UMass Boston. The games have been moved to Sunday, Apr. 2, at 1:00 p.m. in Boston due to unplayable field conditions at D&M Park in Plymouth.
-- 30 --