Miller leads Panthers with shutout in opener vs. preseason favorites
BOSTON – Freshman lefthander Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) tossed her first career shutout in the opener Wednesday afternoon to lead the Plymouth State University softball team to a split of a Little East Conference (LEC) doubleheader at the UMB Softball Field.
Miller led the Panthers to a 3-0 victory in the first game before the Beacons came back to take the nightcap, 4-3. PSU is now 9-9 overall and 1-1 in the Little East, while UMB, which received votes in this week's Division III national poll, is now 14-4 and 1-1. The Beacons were the LEC preseason favorites.
Miller allowed just six hits and one walk while striking out six in the complete-game effort, improving her season record to 5-1.
NCAA Division III College Softball
at UMB Softball Field, Boston, Mass. – Wednesday, April 5, 2017
Plymouth State 3, UMass Boston 0
UMass Boston 4, Plymouth State 3
Records: Plymouth State 9-9 (1-1 LEC); UMass Boston 14-4 (1-1 LEC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Plymouth State scored the only run it would need in the second inning. Freshman Jen Landers (Berlin, N.H.) led off with a single through the left side and later scored on a single to right center by senior Emma Rhodes (Rochester, N.H.)
* The Panthers tacked on two more runs in the fifth inning. Landers smacked a two-out, bases-loaded single through the left side to bring home one run, and sophomore Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) followed with a single through the right side to score another.
* Junior Nina Murray (Saugus, Mass.) went 3-for-3 at the top of the Panther line-up, while Landers, Emerson and Rhodes all had two hits and an RBI.
* Kiera Prusmack led the Beacons, going 3-for-3 with two stolen bases, while Alyssa Tulley added a pair of singles.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* The Beacons jumped ahead 2-0 in the top of the second inning, with one run scoring on an infield error and the second on an RBI single by Roxanne Vento. PSU cut the lead in half in the bottom half of the inning when Emerson led off with a single to left and freshman Haley Birch (Salem, Conn.) followed with an RBI double to left.
* UMD padded its lead with solo runs in the third and fourth innings. Alyssa Tulley singled home a run in the third and Ari Bilotta brought home a run in the fourth with a sacrifice fly.
* Plymouth State rallied with two runs in the bottom of the sixth to cut the deficit to 4-3. After senior Katie Kennard (Concord, N.H.) singled, junior Abrie Davis (Amherst, N.H.) doubled to center to bring home Kennard. Sophomore Autumn Beyor (Highgate, Vt.), pinch running for Davis, went to third on a wild pitch and scored on a ground out by Emerson.
* PSU loaded the bases in the bottom of the seventh inning, but couldn't push the tying run across. Jess Greenspan closed out the win for UMB, striking out seven and improving her record to 10-3.
* Starter Allison Moylan (Methuen, Mass.) took the loss after getting touched for four runs (three earned) in three innings. Freshman Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) pitched four scoreless innings of relief, allowing just two hits and two walks, striking out one.
* Next on the schedule for PSU is a Little East Conference doubleheader against UMass Dartmouth. Due to unplayable field conditions in Plymouth, the games have been moved to UMass Dartmouth on Saturday, beginning at noon.
-- 30 --