Goss collects five hits for Panthers in setbacks
DARTMOUTH, Mass. – The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth scored 15 runs on 24 hits Saturday afternoon and earned a sweep of a Little East Conference softball doubleheader against Plymouth State University, winning 5-3 in eight innings and 10-4 at the UMD Softball Field.
PSU scored single runs in the fourth, fifth, and sixth innings of the first game to force extra innings tied at 3-3, but the Corsairs scored two in the top of the eighth on a two-out, two-run single by Brittany Polk to pull out the win.
The Corsairs plated five runs in the second inning of the night cap to take control of the game, and added three runs in the fourth inning to push their lead to 9-2.Emily Colton had two hits and three RBI to lead the winners, and Lexi Pereira cracked a double and a home run.
The Panthers were led by sophomore Mel Goss (Templeton, Mass.), who had three hits in the first game and two hits and three RBI in the second game.
UMass Dartmouth improves to 12-10 overall and 2-2 in the LEC, while PSU slips to 9-11 overall and 1-3 in conference play.
NCAA Division III College Softball
at UMD Softball Field, Dartmouth, Mass. – Saturday, April 8, 2017
UMass Dartmouth 5, Plymouth State 3 (8 innings)
UMass Dartmouth 10, Plymouth State 4
Records: Plymouth State 9-11 (1-3 LEC); UMass Dartmouth 12-10 (2-2 LEC)
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* UMD jumped on top with three runs in the first inning. Marissa Spinuzzi hit a two-run double to left center, and later scored on an infield grounder.
* The Panthers added another run in the fifth inning when senior Katie Kennard (Concord, N.H.) and Goss both singled through the left side, and Hall singled up the middle to score Kennard. PSU tied the game in the sixth on a clutch two-out single to right by sophomore Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.)
* Hannah Smith earned the win (6-5) for UMD, allowing just three runs (two earned) in eight innings, striking out one.
* Freshman lefthander Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) took the loss for PSU, falling to 5-2 on the season. She allowed five runs (two earned) on eight hits in 7.1 innings, striking out four.
* Goss finished with three singles for PSU, and Emerson and Rhodes had two hits each.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* PSU took an early lead with a run in the first inning as junior Nina Murray (Saugus, Mass.) was hit by a pitch and later came around to score on a double by Kennard.
* The home team erupted for five runs in the second inning. Ashtyn Phaneuf knocked in a run with a groundout, Rebecca Field followed with an RBI single, Emily Colton added a two-run single, and Spinuzzi wrapped up the scoring with an RBI single.
* The team traded runs in the third inning, Pereira hitting a home run for UMD and Goss singling up the middle to drive in a run for PSU.
* UMD tacked on three runs in the fourth on RBI singles by Gracie Trudeau, Colton, and Cierra Sheerin, and added one more in the seventh on a sacrifice fly by Field.
* PSU staged a small comeback in the final inning with two runs. Singles by junior Taylor Wood (Londonderry, N.H.), senior Rachel Morrissey (Salem, N.H.), and junior Abrie Davis (Amherst, N.H.) loaded the bases, and Goss singled to left center to score two runners.
* Nicole McSweeney had three hits for the Corsairs, and Trudeau, Colton, Sheerin, and Pereira each had two hits. Murray, Morrissey and Goss had two hits each for PSU.
* PSU is right back on the diamond Sunday with a non-conference doubleheader at New England College. UMD is also in action Sunday with a make-up twin bill at Wheaton College.
-- 30 --