Panthers sweep doubleheader at Eastern for first time in 34 years
MANSFIELD, Conn. – The Plymouth State University softball team built a four-run lead through six innings and escaped a seventh-inning jam when freshman lefty Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) stranded the tying run on first by retiring three straight batters as the Panthers completed their first road sweep of Eastern Connecticut State University in the 34-year rivalry with a 6-5 Little East Conference victory Saturday afternoon at the Eastern Softball Stadium.
In the first game, Miller tossed a complete-game seven-hitter and Plymouth State (14-12, 3-3 LEC) scored two insurance runs in the top of the seventh inning in a 4-2 victory that ended a five-game overall losing streak for the Panthers at the hands of Eastern (7-17, 3-3 LEC).
Junior Abrie Davis (Amherst, N.H.) and sophomore Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) each had three hits – including a double – on the day, with sophomore Lindsey Hall (Midlothian, Va.) scoring three times with two hits for Plymouth State, which played error-free defense.
NCAA Division III College Softball – Little East Conference
at Eastern Softball Stadium, Mansfield, Conn. – Saturday, April 15, 2017
Plymouth State 4, Eastern Connecticut 2
Plymouth State 6, Eastern Connecticut 5
Records: Plymouth State 14-12, 3-3 LEC; Eastern Conn. 7-17, 3-3 LEC
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Miller surrendered two runs on seven hits and four walks in earning her eighth win of the season, which ties for second-most in the LEC.
* All of the runs in the game were scored in the second and seventh innings. Two Eastern errors led to two unearned PSU runs in the second, capped by a sacrifice fly by Emerson, and Samantha Valentine singled up the middle to drive in a run for Eastern in the bottom half of the inning. Davis hit a double to right center for PSU to bring home an insurance run in the seventh inning, and she later scored on a wild pitch. Eastern got one back in the bottom of the inning on Ryan's two-out RBI single, but Miller got a game-ending ground ball to short.
* Davis and junior Taylor Wood (Londonderry, N.H.) finished with two hits apiece for PSU.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* Plymouth erased a one-run deficit by scoring twice in the fifth on Emerson's RBI double and sophomore baseman Mel Goss' (Templeton, Mass.) RBI single, and moved out to a 6-1 lead with three more in the sixth (two of them unearned) on two hits, two walks, a hit batter, stolen base and error. Emerson's third RBI of the game – a single – drove in one of the runs.
* Down by four runs in the bottom of the seventh, the Warriors got three back when the first four batters reached safely, with senior Gina Georgetti (Milford) driving in a run with a double and senior Kristyn Ryan (Barkhamsted) bringing in two more with her third home run of the season. Miller entered at that point, and after senior Rebecca DeFeo (Richmond, RI) reached safely on an infield single, Miller retired the side on an infield pop, strikeout and infield ground ball for her second save.
* Both teams play Little East doubleheaders at 3:30 p.m. on Tuesday as Eastern hosts UMass Dartmouth and Plymouth State visits the University of Southern Maine.
-- 30 --