Rhodes cracks first career home run for Panthers
CASTLETON, Vt. – Junior Abrie Davis (Amherst, N.H.) went 2-for-3 with a double and three runs batted in to lead Plymouth State University to a 7-5 victory over Castleton University in the first game of a rain-soaked non-conference softball doubleheader Wednesday afternoon at Spartan Field.
Castleton got a one-out grand slam from Sara Baker in the bottom of the seventh inning of the second game to tie the score at 5-5, and the darkness ended the game after seven innings with the score deadlocked.
The outcome gives PSU a 16-13-1 overall record, while Castleton is now 10-7-1.
NCAA Division III College Softball – non-conference
at Castleton Field, Castleton, Vt. – Wednesday, April 19, 2017
Plymouth State 7, Castleton 5
Plymouth State 5, Castleton 5
Records: Plymouth State 16-13-1; Castleton 10-7-1
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Davis cracked a two-run double to right center in the first inning to put the Panthers ahead early, but Castleton answered with three runs in the bottom of the first and two more in the second. Jordan Gouger keyed the first inning rally with a two-run double to left center, and Baker doubled to left to spark the second-inning scoring, putting the Spartans up5-2 after two.
* Plymouth State cut the margin to one run in the fourth inning when sophomore Lindsey Hall (Midlothian, Va.) delivered a two-run double to left, and Davis tied the score at 5-5 in the fifth inning with an RBI single to center.
* The Panthers scored what turned out to be the game-winning runs in the sixth inning when sophomore Autumn Beyor (Highgate, Vt.) hit a sacrifice fly to left, and senior Katie Kennard (Concord, N.H.) added an insurance run with an RBI single through the left side.
* Freshman Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) recorded the win (3-2) in relief for PSU, pitching 5.2 scoreless innings and allowing just four hits and a walk while fanning four.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* The Panthers took an early 2-0 lead in the first inning on RBI singles by sophomore Mel Goss (Templeton, Mass.) and Hall. The Spartans got on the scoreboard with a run in the third inning on an RBI triple by Timi Carone.
* PSU padded the lead with a run in the sixth inning on an RBI single by junior Nina Murray (Saugus, Mass.), and senior Emma Rhodes (Rochester, N.H.) clouted her first career home run in the seventh inning to make it 5-1.
* Junior Allison Moylan (Methuen, Mass.) was cruising along for PSU in the circle, allowing just one run on four hits through six innings. A lead-off double by Brooke Naylor gave the Spartans some life in the seventh inning, and Sami Carlo reached first base on a wild pitch after striking out. A walk to Carone loaded the bases, and Baker blasted the ball to right center to clear the bases and tie the game at 5-5. Moylan got the next two batters on fly balls, and the game was halted due to darkness with the score tied.
* Plymouth State returns to Little East Conference action Saturday with a visit to Western Connecticut State University for a doubleheader, beginning at noon. Western currently owns first place in the LEC with a 5-1 mark. Castleton is right back at it on Thursday, hosting Southern Vermont in a non-conference doubleheader beginning at 3:30 p.m.
-- 30 --