Emerson, Morrill, Davis lead Panthers in twin bill
DANBURY, Conn. – The Plymouth State University softball team scored 15 runs on 23 hits Saturday afternoon en route to a split of a Little East Conference doubleheader vs. Western Connecticut State University at Western's Westside Field.
Western Conn. rallied from behind to take the opener, 7-6, and the Panthers came back to take the nightcap, 9-6. The split of the twin bill leaves PSU with a 17-14-1 overall record (5-5 LEC) while Western is now 15-14 overall (6-2 LEC).
Sophomores Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) and Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.) had four hits apiece on the day to lead PSU, while junior Abrie Davis (Amherst, N.H.) drove in five runs and freshman Jen Landers (Berlin, N.H.) hit her first career home run.
NCAA Division III College Softball – Little East Conference
at Westside Field, Danbury, Conn. – Saturday, April 22, 2017
Western Connecticut 7, Plymouth State 6
Plymouth State 9, Western Connecticut 6
Records: Plymouth State 17-14-1, 5-5 LEC; Western Connecticut 15-14, 6-2 LEC
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* Junior Jenna Gaudioso (East Haven, Conn.) went 3-for-3 with a run batted in and scored two runs to lead WestConn's offense. Freshman stop Charline Plasczynski (Bristol, Conn.) went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI and scored two runs for the winners.
* Freshman lefty Angelina Miller (Holbrook, N.Y.) came on in relief of starter Jaclyn Smith (Sandwich, Mass.) and earned the victory. She is now 5-2 on the season after allowing three runs while striking out two and walking two.
* The Panthers got a 3-for-4 performance from Emerson, while Davis had a single in two official at bats and drove in a pair of runs. Freshman Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) suffered the loss after yielding seven runs, six of them earned, on 10 hits over the first four innings. She struck out four and walked two, but falls to 8-4 on the year.
* The Colonials raced out to a 3-0 in the first inning when Plasczynski and Kayla Nowak (Northford, CT) tallied RBIs. The Panthers tied the contest at 3-3 in the top of the third inning then took a 6-3 lead an inning later. In the fourth inning, Morrill had an RBI double, Emerson had a bunt single resulting in an RBI and Davis pushed across the final PSU run with a sacrifice fly to plate Nina Murray (Saugus, Mass.).
* In the bottom of the fifth inning, LaFemina led off with a single to left field to chase Miller from the circle. Junior Allison Moylan (Methuen, Mass.) came on to spell Miller. LaFemina immediately stole second base to get into scoring position. After a ground out, LaFemina moved over to third base. Gaudioso registered what proved to be the game-winning sacrifice fly as she flew out to center field.
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* Freshman Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) went four innings to earn the victory (4-2) for PSU, improving to 4-2 on the season. Seidner allowed five runs on eight hits while striking out two. Moylan earned her second save after coming on in the fifth inning and finishing off the contest. She allowed one run on two hits while fanning one and walking another.
* Landers belted a three-run home run to highlight a five-run third inning for the winners.
* Trailing 9-2, the Colonials drew within three runs after scoring four runs in the bottom of the fifth inning. Plasczynski had a three-run double to highlight the frame. She went 2-for-4 with four RBI in the nightcap.
* Sara Tenke (Glen Cove, NY) suffered the loss for the Colonials and is now 5-4 in her first collegiate season. She allowed seven runs on 10 hits while striking out one and walking one.
* The Colonials travel to Keene State College for a make-up doubleheader with the Owls on Sunday (Apr. 23), beginning at 1 pm. Plymouth State plays host to Keene State on Tuesday, April 25. First pitch is set for 3:30 p.m.
(Courtesy of Western Connecticut Sports Information)