Panthers clinch berth in LEC Tournament, which begins Tuesday
PLYMOUTH, N.H. – Sophomore Cassidy Emerson (Concord, N.H.) had five hits and freshman Haley Birch (Salem, Conn.) drove in four runs Saturday afternoon at D&M Park as Plymouth State University swept Rhode Island College in a Little East Conference softball doubleheader, 8-0 in five innings and 7-2.
Junior Nina Murray (Saugus, Mass.) had two hits, including a bases-loaded triple, to lead PSU in the opener. Freshman Caitlyn Miller (Lee, N.H.) and junior Allison Moylan (Methuen, Mass.) combined to allow just five RIC hits as PSU posted its second shutout of the season.
Emerson had three hits and Birch drove in two runs to lead the Panthers in the nightcap. Sophomore Hannah Seidner (Pembroke, N.H.) pitched five innings to earn the win and improve to 6-2.
PSU winds up the regular season at 20-15-1 overall and 8-6 in conference play, clinching a spot in next week's LEC Tournament. RIC wraps up its season at 8-20 overall and 3-11 in the Little East. Plymouth State will find out its final place in the conference standings and its seed in the post-season after all LEC games are complete on Sunday.
NCAA Division III College Softball – Little East Conference
at D&M Park, Plymouth, N.H. – Saturday, April 29, 2017
Plymouth State 8, Rhode Island College State 0 (5 innings)
Plymouth State 7, Rhode Island College 2
Records: Plymouth State 18-15-1, 6-6 LEC; Keene State 15-17, 6-6 LEC
GAME 1 HIGHLIGHTS
* PSU scored the only run it would need in the first inning when senior Katie Kennard (Concord, N.H.) doubled and came around to score on a pair of sacrifice bunts. The Panthers made it 3-0 in the second inning on Birch's sacrifice fly and an RBI double to left center by sophomore Debra Morrill (Concord, N.H.)
* Plymouth State blew the game open with five runs in the third inning. Emerson hit a bases-loaded single to plate one run, and Murray cleared the bases with her triple to left center before coming home on a single by Birch.
* Miller improved to 9-5 on the season, pitching four innings of four-hit, shutout ball, and Moylan pitched a scoreless fifth inning.
* PSU junior Abrie Davis (Amherst, N.H.) went 0-for-3 and saw her 13-game hitting streak come to an end.
* RIC managed just five hits, including a triple by senior Lauren Duvall (East Greenwich, R.I.) and two singles by sophomore Emma Simmons (Saunderstown, R.I.).
GAME 2 HIGHLIGHTS
* PSU took control early on with four runs in the second inning with the help of two RIC errors and an RBI single by Kennard. Morrissey brought home the final run with an infield grounder.
* RIC got on the board with single runs in the third and fourth innings. Sophomore Kelsey Burgess (North Providence, R.I.) doubled home a run in the third, and junior Kelsey Wood (North Dighton, Mass.) singled home another in the fourth.
* The Panthers tacked on single runs in the next three innings. Three walks and an error accounted for one run in the fourth, Birch singled home in the fifth, and Moylan got her first hit of the season to knock in a run in the sixth.
* Seidner allowed two runs in five innings while striking out four. Sophomore Kayla Mathieu (Fairfax, Vt.) pitched two scoreless innings to record her second save.
|PSU Seniors and their families were recognized on Senior Day at D&M Park.|
-- 30 --